Language exchange program
Have you ever thought of learning a language? Planning a trip somewhere and wanting to learn some simple phrases? Do you study a language and don't have friends to practice with? Well Deakin Language Exchange program is here for you!
Held during Trimester 2, the Deakin Language Exchange Program is a great chance for you to learn about other cultures, improve your language skills and make new friends. Starting in teaching week 3 this relaxed six week series will provide students with a range of different opportunities, whether you're simply looking to meet new people enjoying different conversations from around the world or develop your understanding of a particular language one on one.
Fun activities and events will be arranged across the six weeks to give everyone plenty to talk about. Some weeks we will be hanging out around campus enjoying food, conversation and music while other weeks we will be visiting the Victoria Winter Night Markets and going for a spooky tour through the Old Melbourne Goal.
So, what do I have to do to participate in the language and cultural exchange?
- Fill in the online registration form
- You will receive a confirmation email with upcoming activity details
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
The Deakin Language Exchange program is an intercultural engagement program which aims to actively engage students with their culturally diverse peers in a positive manner.
Participants will agree to the following:
- Your contact details will be given to your exchange partner/group so you can set up the first meeting.
- All personal information obtained from your partner must remain confidential at all times. You may not forward any personal details obtained without their consent.
- If there is any change in your contact details, please notify your language partner/group and facilitator.
- Both partners should agree on place/s to meet.
- Cancellation of meetings need to be made ahead of time and you are responsible to inform your partner/group.
- Respect your partner/group: their culture, gender, and politics or religion.
- Both participants should agree on topics of conversation.
- Advertising or recruiting for other associations or religious or political groups is not permitted.
- If you have to withdraw from the program for any reason, please advise your exchange partner as soon as possible. You are also required to notify the facilitator.
- If there are any issues with the program, please contact the facilitator.
- Deakin University policies apply to all participants, particularly in the area of Plagiarism & Collusion and the freedom to work in an environment free from violent, abusive and offensive behaviour. Deakin University misconduct procedures will be applied for any inappropriate behaviour on campus.
- We reserve the right to cancel or change the activities due to unforeseen circumstance.
- Maximum of 50 students will be accommodated for both off campus excursions.
- Please note matching of exchange partner is subject to availability, selection criteria requests and other factors. There is no guarantee all applicants will be allocated an exchange partner.