All new Deakin international students will be required to complete the compulsory online orientation by the end of week 6 of their first trimester.
This online orientation program is different to the face-to-face orientation that you will attend on campus. The face-to-face orientation is not compulsory, however, we strongly recommend that you make every effort to attend as this is where you will get the chance to meet new friends and be introduced to vital university services. You will also have the chance to ask questions and learn important information about study and life in Australia, as well as cultural practices here.
The compulsory online orientation program is designed to ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as an international student. There are 5 modules that you will be required to complete and there is a quiz at the end of each module. Information about the online orientation and instructions on how to complete it will be emailed to your student email account in week 1 of your first trimester.
You must read the content before you can attempt the quiz. If you don't compete the content, you will not be able to access the quiz. You must pass each module with a score of at least 75% before you can move on to the next module and quiz. If you don't pass the quiz, you can repeat it as many times as you like, but you will not be able to move on to the next one until you have got at least 75% .
The modules are as follows:
- Module one - Your visa conditions. This section gives you essential advice about your student visa and the conditions attached to it. It is very important that you understand these conditions and abide by them.
- Module 2 - Online learning and the 25% rule. During your time at Deakin, you may wish to study some online units. That's great and we encourage you to do so if that is what you want to do. However, there are rules that affect international students and their ability to study online. This module gives you essential information about these requirements.
- Module 3 - Compliance Officers. Compliance? Sounds scary! It's not. We are here to help you. The compliance officers can assist you with a range of matters, including advice on student visa-related matters, reporting issues and a range of other important information. This module helps you understand our role and how we can help you.
- Module 4 - Complaints and appeals. We certainly hope that your time at Deakin is a happy one and that you are satisfied with your studies. However, from time to time, things happen that you may not be happy about. The University takes all complaints and appeals very seriously and this module is designed to tell you about the process.
- Module 5 - Legal matters. The law in Australia may be very different to what you are used to. This module gives you an understanding of how to get legal assistance if you need it.
Important: All commencing international students are required to complete the online orientation by week 6 of their first trimester. Failure to complete the orientation may result in your enrolment being encumbered and you won't be able to receive your results.