Enrolment Conditions for your Student Visa

The information on this page has been put together exclusively for international students, who are required to adhere to specific enrolment conditions to avoid risking their COE being cancelled. In addition, information is provided about support that is tailored to international students' needs and circumstances.

Enrolment conditions for international students

Completing your course on time

International students must strive, at all times, to complete their studies within the completion date as specified on their Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) document. This means that under normal circumstances you ought to complete at least 8 credit points per (academic) year. Should you wish to vary your enrolment, or spread out your load over 3 trimesters, you will need to talk to a Faculty course adviser.

Should you deliberately under-enrol, not follow course advice from your faculty, or not make up for units in Trimester 3 to ensure completion of at least 8 credit points for the year, you may not be able to obtain an extension of your COE. Where possible, you will then have to complete your studies from your home country as a Cloud Campus student.

Enrolment in cloud units

Trimester 1 and Trimester 2 are compulsory study periods. At no time can international students study only an cloud unit in a compulsory study period. This means that you must always include at least one on-campus unit in Trimester 1 and 2.

One third (or equivalent) rule

International students may study one third (or equivalent) of their course online. However you must be enrolled in at least one face to face unit in each compulsory study period, unless you are completing your final unit of study. If you exceed this rule, you will not be eligible for a new COE. This means that you will need to return to your home country and complete your course as a Cloud Campus student.

For more detailed information about any of the above enrolment conditions, or possible breaches of these conditions, please contact the Deakin International Quality and Compliance team.

Academic progress

All students are required to make successful academic progress. That is, they must pass a minimum number of units each trimester in order to successfully complete their course of study within a reasonable timeframe.

The University is required to cancel an international student's COE if they have been excluded because of unsatisfactory academic progress or academic misconduct. In these situations, students must make arrangements for enrolment into a new course either at Deakin or with another provider within 28 days of their COE cancellation. Should students fail to enrol in a new course within 28 days of the cancellation of their COE, their student visa may be cancelled. For further information, please contact Deakin International Quality and Compliance.


International students may face specific hurdles having chosen to undertake their studies in a country other than home. A new culture and environment awaits them, they must build new networks of friends, and become accustomed to the Australian accent and vernacular. At university, they will encounter a different academic culture and are required to grasp different academic expectations. Sometimes specific situations call for specific support.

Study Support

All students, both local and international, will need to familiarise themselves with the academic expectations at Deakin. Language and Learning Advisers are professional staff who are here to help you adjust to those expectations and develop your academic skills. If you are from a non-English speaking background, it is also important to spend time developing your English language skills. There are many fun and informal ways to engage with the English language.
You may wish to check out the Peer Study programs where you will find senior students who are keen to answer any of your questions.

International Student Support

Our team members have lived and studied in other countries and have experienced firsthand the cultural and other adjustments required when moving to another country. We are familiar with many of the challenges you face in making Australia your home and therefore hope to be your first point of contact at Deakin. Don't hesitate to come and talk to an ISA on your campus!

Page custodian: Division of Student Life
Last updated: