Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Study obligations for your student visa

To ensure you successfully complete your study, there are requirements you need to be aware of that relate to your enrolment, and your visa.

Below is some important information that you need to be aware of while you are studying at Deakin. You can find more information and support on our international student webpage.

Maintain satisfactory academic progress

To maintain satisfactory academic progress, you need to:

  • maintain satisfactory attendance for your units and scheduled learning activities
  • follow the course progress rules
  • pass with at least 50% of credit points in two consecutive study periods
  • not fail a compulsory unit twice
  • be familiar with the requirements of your course.

If you do not meet the above requirements, you may be excluded from your course for a period of one academic year.

Remain enrolled in a registered course

While at Deakin, your main course of study must continue to be a registered course in the education sector that matches the conditions of your student visa. A registered course is one that is listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

You must be enrolled in a registered course in all compulsory study periods (Trimester 1 and Trimester 2). Trimester 3 (T3) is not a compulsory study period. However, if you are enrolled in one or more units in T3 or if you commenced your studies in T3, then Trimester 3 becomes a compulsory study period.

Maintain an active Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

You are expected to complete your course within the date range listed on your CoE. The University’s compliance and visas webpage provides more information on whether you are eligible to apply for a visa extension or a new CoE and how you can do this.

If your CoE is cancelled, your visa may be cancelled by the Department of Home Affairs. The University is required to cancel a CoE in certain circumstances, including if you:

  • commence your course but choose to discontinue your studies before course completion
  • fail to commence your course within the commencement period
  • are discontinued by the University for:
    • non-payment of fees
    • unsatisfactory academic progress
    • general misconduct or academic misconduct (such as breaches of academic or research integrity)
  • are granted an intermission (note, a new CoE will be issued for your returning trimester)
  • fail to re-enrol in your course (or you withdraw from your units) and your enrolment status becomes inactive (except in Trimester 3 when it is not a compulsory study period for you)
  • complete your course more than two months before the course end date listed on your CoE.

Withdrawing from all your units in a compulsory trimester will result in the cancellation of your CoE.

When you discontinue your course, we are required to notify the Department of Home Affairs that you are no longer studying with Deakin.

Follow your course map (study plan)

Follow the course map (study plan) as detailed in the University Handbook or provided by your student adviser. Your course map will help you finish your course on time, as specified by the course completion date listed on your current Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you need to change your course map, please contact Student Central and remember to check how any changes to your course map may impact your CoE.

As an international student, you can study one third (or equivalent) of your course units online. This means you must always include at least one on-campus unit during your studies in Trimester 1 and 2, as they are compulsory study periods. At no time can you study only one online unit in a compulsory study period (unless it is your final unit to complete).

Please note if you have not completed eight (8) credit points over Trimester 1 and 2, Trimester 3 will become a compulsory study period for you in order to complete your studies by the end date listed on your CoE.

As an international student, you may study one third (or equivalent) of your course units online. If you do not adhere to this rule, you may not be eligible to apply for a new CoE. This means you will need to return to your home country and complete the remainder of your course as an online student.

Exceptions to study load requirements

For the latest information and updates about exceptions for enrolment requirements, please visit the reduced study load webpage.

Pay your fees on time

You must pay your fees on time to fulfil your study obligations. Make sure that you record your fee amount and the date(s) when your fees are due to ensure you pay them when required and have the money available to do so. You can visit our fee webpage to find out more about fees and when your fees are due.

The cost of courses can vary, so make sure you know what your course fees are. Your fees may be different from your friends’ fees. We have an online tool where you can estimate your tuition fees.

HDR students - extension of candidature and CoE

HDR students, including PhD and masters by research students, will have a slightly different process when applying for a CoE.

When you apply to extend your candidature, you will get a new CoE to reflect your new maximum completion date. If your new CoE period is longer than your student visa expiry date, you can apply for new student visa using your new CoE. For information about applying for a new student visa, see the compliance and visa webpage.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.