Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know what fees I need to pay?

All fees you are required to pay (including the indicative tuition fee) will be listed in your Offer Letter. You will need to pay the tuition fee, an application fee and OSHC if studying on-campus. Please visit the course fee for international students page for more information.

Please note that your actual tuition fees may differ depending on the units you actually enrol in. If there is a difference between your initial course payment and the actual fee liability generated by your enrolment, you will need to pay any outstanding amount; over payments will be credited to your next trimester's fees.

What accommodation is available?

There are a number of accommodation options available to international students, including: 

  • on-campus accommodation
  • off-campus accommodation – private rentals
  • non-university homestay. 

For more information, please see accommodation at Deakin.

If I don't meet the admission requirements for Deakin University what are my options?

If you do not meet the academic admission requirements for Deakin, you should consider completing a course at one of our pathway providers which may allow you direct admission into the second year of certain Deakin programs. Our direct pathway institutions include Deakin College, Box Hill Institute of TAFE, South West Institute of TAFE, Chisholm Institute of TAFE, Sunraysia Institute of TAFE, and The Gordon Institute of TAFE. A range of further Credit Transfer and Recognition pathways to Deakin are available from other TAFE institutes in Australia, as well as both Australian and overseas institutions. 

If you do not meet the English language admission requirements for Deakin, you should consider an English language course. Students can meet the English language requirements of Deakin undergraduate and postgraduate courses by successfully completing an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program at the Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI). If you decide to take an IELTS (Academic) or TOEFL test, you will need to book early as places fill quickly. If you sit for a TOEFL test, you should select Deakin University's designated institution code (DI Code 0765) as one of your institutions to receive your score.

Where can I find more information on courses and subjects?

For complete information about individual courses and their units (subjects) please visit the Deakin course search website or see the University Handbook.

Where can I find more information about Australia as a study destination?

If you are applying through a representative, they will provide you with more information. You can also go to the Australian Government website. This site provides impartial and reliable information about courses, institutions, study and living costs, the application process, visa requirements and more. You will also find more information in the Living in Australia section of our website.

Are there any restrictions as to where I can source funds from for payment of tuition fees?

Yes, Australian laws restrict the use of funding obtained from various foreign persons and entities. Information about these restrictions and lists of entities to whom restrictions apply are available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) website. You must check both of these websites and ensure that you do not make or arrange any payments using funds obtained from any prohibited person or entity.

I have a complaint to make, what should I do?

Student complaints and appeals 

The University is committed to dealing with complaints in a serious and sensitive manner. The complaints process is designed to be prompt and responsive so that students can have issues of concern dealt with quickly and can move on with their studies. Where warranted, the University will endeavour to improve its services, systems and decision-making processes to prevent future complaints arising.

This information is for students seeking to lodge and resolve Academic and Administrative Complaints. For information on complaints relating to discrimination, sexual harassment or bullying, please see the complaints section on our website.

For information on whistleblower disclosures you should consult the Whistleblowers Protection Act 2001 Disclosures Procedure. For information on appeals against Committee decisions, including Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committees, you should consult the procedures outlined in the correspondence and information produced by those Committees.

Academic and Administrative Complaints

An Academic Complaint is a complaint relating to academic decisions or outcomes (e.g. selection decisions, quality of teaching, assessment, or supervision issues for research students). It will be dealt with in the first instance by the academic staff and Faculty involved. An Administrative Complaint is a complaint relating to administrative decisions, actions or processes (e.g. admission, enrolment, fees or charges), or to access to University resources and facilities (e.g. food services, IT, buildings and grounds). It will be dealt with in the first instance by the administrative staff and Division involved. Refer also to the Student Complaints Procedure in The Guide.

Complaints process

Standard 8 of the National Code ensures international students have a fair, inexpensive complaints and appeals process that includes access to an independent external body if necessary. Providers must make prompt decisions as a student's visa will restrict his or her length of stay in Australia. For full details of these stages or the process, please consult the student complaints section  of our website.

External Avenues for Appeal

  • All complainants have the right to lodge complaints with an appropriate external body, after following the stages of the relevant University procedures for complaint resolution.
  • Complainants may contact the Victorian Ombudsman in relation to the application of policies and procedures and administrative processes that have been followed.
Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: