Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Frequently Asked Questions

Why do international students need OSHC?

The Department Immigration and Border Protection requires all international students (and their dependents) coming to Australia to study under a Student Visa and to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for duration of their Student visas. Failure to have continuous cover could result in a student visa being cancelled.

Students must make their first OSHC payment prior to being granted a student visa.

Note: some Belgian, Norwegian and Swedish students may be covered by health insurance provided by their governments and, as such, do not have to take out OSHC. Contact Deakin International to find out if you belong to this category.

Who offers OSHC?

Visit the Department of Health website to read more about OSHC providers.

Each OSHC provider offers slightly different levels of service, benefits and added features. Deakin's preferred OSHC provider is BUPA Australia, a leading Australian Health Fund which offers an extended OSHC product and service platform to students at no added cost.

If you have any queries or would like to speak to a BUPA representative, please call the BUPA OSHC hotline on 1800 888 942 or visit the website at www.overseasstudenthealth.com.

BUPA OSHC also has a counter on Level 2, Building LA of the Melbourne Burwood Campus. The counter is open from Monday to Friday between 10am and 5pm.

Pre-arranged OSHC for new students

Deakin International arranges program length OSHC for students who are arriving from overseas to study in Australia for the first time. If you have paid your OSHC fee with your tuition fees, you will automatically be insured with BUPA Australia OSHC. You will receive your BUPA OSHC card from Deakin/BUPA staff at the on-campus Enrolment and Orientation session that is held before teaching period commences. Deakin may receive a benefit from health care providers for assisting with the provision of health cover for overseas students.

For more information about the terms and conditions of your cover, contact BUPA Australia OSHC .

Can students choose their own OSHC provider?

Yes, you are free to sign up with other OSHC providers while studying at Deakin.

Who doesn't have to take out OSHC?

Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements. 

If you are a resident from one of these countries, we recommend visiting the Australian Government Department of Health website to see if this exemption applies to you. 

How do I change my OSHC start date?

If you arrive in Australia earlier than the OSHC start date listed on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), you can change the date your OSHC becomes active by contacting BUPA. BUPA will require you to provide documentation to evidence your arrival date (ie travel documents). Simply email BUPA at oshc@bupa.com.au and BUPA will update your details and re-send the membership material if required. 

Visit the BUPA Overseas Student FAQs page for more information.

How does OSHC work?

Most OSHC providers have agreements with clinics and medical providers, where you can be treated without having to pay the consultation bill. By presenting your OSHC membership card, your consultation bill will be sent directly to your OSHC provider who will settle your bill with the medical provider. This procedure is called 'bulk billing'.

You will need to check with your OSHC provider the list of medical providers whom they have bulk-billing agreements with and the details of these agreements.

If you choose to go to a medical provider who does not have a bulk-billing agreement with your OSHC provider, you may need to pay your medical bill first and claim a refund from your OSHC provider at a later date. If you do so, make sure you keep your receipt in order to make a claim.

A list of clinics with bulk-billing agreements with BUPA Australia OSHC, Deakin's preferred OSHC provider, can be obtained from their website or check with Deakin International.

What does OSHC cover?

You may have to contact your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider to find out what you are covered for, as it will differ depending on the provider. If your OSHC was arranged by Deakin this will be BUPA, otherwise you should be able to find contact details on your OSHC card.

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: