Accepting your offer and studying in Australia

Accepting your Deakin offer is easy. Simply follow the instructions on your Offer Letter, or contact if you have any questions.

And while you're waiting for your classes to begin, keep up to date with Deakin University news and updates on social media.

For specific information about offer acceptance, check out the below sections.

Acceptance procedures

As soon as a decision is made on your eligibility, you will be informed of the outcome.

  • If you are successful, you will receive an Offer Letter stating the course for which you have been accepted, tuition fee payable and Overseas Student Health Cover information.
  • The Offer Letter may be conditional or unconditional. If you receive a conditional offer, you must fulfill the condition(s) outlined in the Offer Letter (such as undertaking an English language course or successfully completing current studies). Once those conditions have been fulfilled, you will receive an unconditional offer and confirmation that you have met all the admission requirements.
  • Your Offer Letter will contain details about accessing pre-departure information including the forms to use to accept your offer, how to pay your fees and how to request arrival services.
  • You should accept your offer by paying the fees as soon as possible, as places in some courses are limited.
  • Deakin University will then issue you with a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment).
  • If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Conditions of entry into Australia

To be granted a student visa, you are required to:

  • have a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from Deakin University;
  • show evidence of sufficient financial capacity to cover all expenses during your entire stay in Australia, including living costs and return airfares; 
  • be genuinely seeking temporary entry for study purposes only and agree to leave Australia when the course is completed; and
  • undergo a medical examination with a medical practitioner approve by the Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country. For more information, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Please note that entry to Australia on a student visa is only permitted for applicants undertaking full-time on-campus study. For more information about visas, please the relevant section on the DIBP website.

Health insurance (OSHC)

The Australian Government requires all international students (and any dependants accompanying them) to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). The health cover provides for medical and hospital care within Australia for the length of your visa. It is your responsibility to ensure your OSHC is valid and kept up-to-date while you hold a student visa. Your Offer Letter will detail the OSHC fees you are required to pay.

For more information, please visit the Overseas Health website.

Students under 18

According to visa regulations, arrangements must be made for a care provider to be available for students under the age of 18 studying in Australia. If you are under 18, your parents can nominate a care provider, or there are professional organisations that provide care services.


During the trimester, as an international student, you are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week once you have been granted a work permit. There is no limit on the number of hours you are permitted to work when the University is not in session, provided it does not interfere with your studies. Dependants also have restricted work rights. Dependants of undergraduate students can work up to 20 hours per week. However, you should be aware that work may not be readily available and you should not depend on this form of income for support.

If you are the recipient of a scholarship or sponsorship, you should check whether the conditions of your sponsorship allow you to undertake employment.

For full information on working while studying, please visit the relevant section on the DIBP website.

Protection of your rights as an international student

As an international student, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider meet the high standards necessary for international students.

As a CRICOS-registered education provider, Deakin ensures that all its courses comply with those standards as set out in the ESOS legislative framework. In addition, as an international student, you have certain rights that are protected under the ESOS framework, as well as certain obligations that you have to adhere to while studying in Australia.

For more information, please, visit the Deakin International web page or the Australian Education International website.

Online International Community

Students who have made a successful application to Deakin University are invited to join our online social media network community. Comprised of current Deakin international students, this group will allow you to make friends and connections before you arrive in Australia.

You can join groups, share media and find out more about life in Australia and studying at Deakin from existing students. Successful applicants will receive an invitation to join shortly after they receive your letter of offer.

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: