Single unit applications

Most units at Deakin are also available as single (non-award) units that don't lead to degrees.

Studying a single unit is a great way to pursue personal or professional interests, or to see if university is right for you.

Choosing a unit

Use the Search for a unit feature in the Deakin handbook to find a non-award unit that interests you.

Search for a unit in the Deakin Handbook

* Financial planning units

The studies you'll be required to undertake as an adviser to satisfy the Financial Adviser Standards education requirements depends on your previous studies.

Financial Adviser Standards has determined that existing advisers with an approved degree will be required to complete one unit covering Financial Adviser Standards' Code of Ethics by no later than January 2026.

Existing advisers with a relevant degree in a related field of study will be required to complete three bridging courses (equivalent to a Deakin unit), plus one Financial Adviser Standards compliant unit.

Students can elect to study the bridging unit, or units, as single units of study as per the table below. All four units can be studied in the Graduate Certificate of Financial Planning.

More information on the specific education requirements can be found in the Financial Adviser Standards Education Requirements policy.

Explore our financial planning single and intensive units

* Law units

If you are seeking to practise law in Victoria and have previously trained in another jurisdiction, the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB) will assess your qualifications and determine the academic areas of knowledge you still need to meet in order to qualify for practice in Victoria. You will receive a letter from VLAB specifying those areas. You must provide this letter to Deakin together with your application to complete single unit/s of study.

Explore our law bridging units

Using a single unit as a pathway to a course

If you complete a non-award unit successfully, it may be counted as credit towards a degree course at Deakin. If you enjoy your single-unit study experience at Deakin and decide to apply for an award course, submit a course application and include your completed unit on a recognition of prior learning application.

Cross-institutional unit applications

Students from other universities can apply to enrol in units at Deakin. Similarly, Deakin students can apply to enrol in units at another university.

Find out more about cross-institutional unit applications

How to apply

To apply for single-unit/non-award study, submit your application online via the Deakin Course and Scholarship applicant portal. Apply for multiple units in one trimester in a single application if you like and you'll be notified of the outcome by email. To study units in a subsequent trimester, you'll have to submit another online application.

Apply through the Deakin Application Portal

Applications are now open

The Deakin Application Portal has made applying for your ultimate course easier than ever. Plus, you can chat with our application experts on 1800 693 888 if you need support at any step.


Deakin charges fees for single-unit/non-award enrolments as they aren't Commonwealth supported places. The cost of each unit depends on the government-classified area of study to which the unit belongs. To find information about specific unit fees check our non-award information for domestic and international students.

Check out the fee estimator

Rights and responsibilities

Just like a degree student, you'll be expected to complete all administrative, academic and examination requirements to get formal recognition that you've completed the unit properly. Once enrolled, you'll have the same rights and responsibilities as other Deakin students.

Computing requirements

At Deakin, we make extensive use of technology in our teaching. To study at Deakin you are required to have:

  • access to a device such as a desktop computer or laptop
  • connectivity to the internet
  • capability to use Deakin's online learning environments.

Learn more about Deakin's computing requirements

Financial assistance

Single-unit students aren't eligible for university loans, financial assistance from Centrelink, grants, HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP (except bridging training for overseas trained professionals who may be eligible Government assistance.)

You'll be expected to meet all costs associated with the fees for single units.

Employer or sponsor fee payments

If your single-unit fees are being paid by an employer or a sponsor, please contact Student Central to make arrangements.