Cross-institutional study applications

Students from other universities can apply to enrol in units at Deakin and Deakin students can apply to another university to enrol in units and get credit towards their degree.

If you are a current Deakin student visit the Current Students website.

Applying for cross-institutional study

If you are studying at a tertiary institution other than Deakin you may be able to enrol in approved units at Deakin and receive credit towards your course at your home institution.

Choose a unit you want to take by using the unit search tool on the Handbook website. Read the unit descriptions, trimester and if the course is available at a particular campus, prerequisites, credit point value and assessment details, to choose the units most suitable to your current course.

Search for a unit in the Deakin Handbook

How to apply

Once you have identified the units(s) in the Deakin Handbook you wish to study, download the approval form (PDF, 129.8 KB) and have a Student Adviser at your home University complete this.

Scan a copy of this approval form and then apply online for cross institutional study. Applications for Trimester 2 2024 and Trimester 3 2024 are now open.

Commonwealth supported students

Due to the limited places available in some units, it may not always be possible for Commonwealth supported students from other institutions to also be offered Commonwealth supported places at Deakin.

You will need to provide evidence of current funding arrangements with your home institution so that we can enrol you in the correct funding type. A certified copy of your most recent Commonwealth Assistance Notice would be sufficient evidence.

If you are applying for a Commonwealth supported place you must complete a new Commonwealth Assistance Form (HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP) electronically on StudentConnect once you receive your offer from Deakin.

Application closing dates

e encourage applicants to return their completed forms and relevant documentation as early as possible as places may be limited.

Applications for Trimester 2 2024 close on 23 June 2024 and applications for Trimester 3 2024 close on 27 October 2024.

Minimum computing requirements

To study at Deakin you are required to have:

  • access to a device such as a desktop computer or laptop
  • connectivity to the internet
  • capability to use Deakin's online learning environments.

Learn more about Deakin's computing requirements


Deakin University charges fees for cross-institutional unit enrolments. These fees are trimester based and vary depending on whether you are a Commonwealth supported or fee-paying student at Deakin University. The cost of each unit depends on the government classified area of study the unit belongs to.

Application outcome

If your application is approved you will be sent instructions by email on how to confirm your enrolment. You will then have the same rights and responsibilities of a student at Deakin.

Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email.

Withdrawing from a unit

If you wish to withdraw from a cross-institutional unit you must:

  • notify a Student Adviser here at Deakin to discuss your options
  • inform your home university that you are withdrawing from the unit. This must be done according to their deadlines using the procedure they use.

Failure to notify both Deakin and your home institution according to each of their deadlines may result in a financial liability.