Set yourself up for a range of careers, from general practice and geriatric medicine through to pathology, pediatrics and surgery. Unlike most other universities, a Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (BMBS) at Deakin University has an emphasis on rural and regional medicine and aims to satisfy the critical shortage of doctors in regional areas – making graduates very employable.
Deakin medicine graduates have a reputation for being mature, capable doctors who are work-ready. Practitioners teach the units so students have their finger on the pulse.
Professor of Public Health
You’ll get hands-on experience attending the clinical sites with whom we partner within the southwest Victorian region, like University Hospital Geelong, South West Healthcare and Ballarat Hospital.
Medicine and surgery courses
Study with Deakin and we'll help you transform your passion into a successful and rewarding career
Research with us
Are you curious about the future of medicine? Perhaps you’ll be part of it. Deakin’s School of Medicine has established a reputation for research excellence, backed by success with the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
Who we work with
We've established a wealth of partnerships that will help your work integrated learning as well as your career beyond university. Our strategic research centres and partners include:
- Centre for Rural Emergency Medicine
- CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory
- Geelong Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases
- The Kardinia Health GP Superclinic
- Metabolic Research Unit (MRU)
- The Molecular and Medical Research Strategic Research Centre (MMR)
- Psychiatric Health and Epi-Centre for Healthy Ageing Strategic Research Centre
- National Centre for Farmer Health
- The Western Alliance Academic Health Science Centre
- University Hospital Geelong.
As a graduate, you’ll be equipped to work as an intern at regional, metropolitan and overseas hospitals. A career can lead anywhere, including:
- Emergency medicine
- General practice
- Geriatric medicine
- Hospital and government medical administration
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Medical research
- Occupational and rehabilitation medicine
- Public health medicine
Browse other disciplines within medicine
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.