As a graduate, you’ll be equipped to work as an intern at regional, metropolitan and overseas hospitals. A career can lead anywhere, including:
- General practice
- Geriatric medicine
- Hospital and government medical administration
- Emergency medicine
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Medical research
- Occupational and rehabilitation medicine
- Public health medicine
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any credit for prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor’s and bachelor’s with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
Higher Degrees by Research (supervised research)
Research degrees are research based master’s or PhD programs that focus on a single area of expertise. They provide students the opportunity to carry out highly specialised research under expert supervision.
Deakin medicine graduates have a reputation for being mature, capable doctors who are work-ready. Practitioners teach the units so students have their finger on the pulse.
Professor of Public Health
You’ll get hands-on experience attending the clinical sites with whom we partner within the southwest Victorian region, like University Hospital Geelong, South West Healthcare and Ballarat Hospital.
Research with us
Are you curious about the future of medicine? Perhaps you’ll be part of it. Deakin’s School of Medicine has established a reputation for research excellence, backed by success with the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
Who we work with
We've established a wealth of partnerships that will help your work integrated learning as well as your career beyond university. Our strategic research centres and partners include:
- Centre for Rural Emergency Medicine
- CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory
- Geelong Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases
- The Kardinia Health GP Superclinic
- Metabolic Research Unit (MRU)
- The Molecular and Medical Research Strategic Research Centre (MMR)
- Psychiatric Health and Epi-Centre for Healthy Ageing Strategic Research Centre
- National Centre for Farmer Health
- The Western Alliance Academic Health Science Centre
- University Hospital Geelong.
Browse other disciplines within medicine
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.