Weighted Average Mark (WAM)
A Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is a calculation of all your relevant unit outcomes within a course. It's weighted by taking into consideration the credit points of a unit and the result. Relevant grades are listed below.
How to calculate a WAM
To calculate the WAM for your course, you will need the achievable credit points for your passed, failed and withdrawn failed units and the mark for each of those units. A withdrawn late isn't considered an 'achievable' credit point.
If a mark was not given for your unit/s, the default WAM mark (see table below) should be used. Only units with a grade listed in the table below are included in the calculation.
The weighted average mark for your course is calculated in three parts.
- Part 1 - multiply the achievable credit points for a unit by the mark granted (overall mark for your unit), or the default WAM mark (see table below);
- Part 2 - get a total of all the multiplications, and
- Part 3 - divide this total by the sum of the achievable credit points for all your units that have contributed to the calculation of your WAM.
Make sense? Here is an example!
Let's say a student has completed 8 units (each worth 1 achievable credit point).
The outcomes for these units are:
- two Credits (each with a mark of 60),
- two Distinctions (each with a mark of 75),
- one High Distinction (mark of 80),
- two Withdrawn Late (WL grade) and a
- one Withdrawn Fail (WN grade - default WAM mark of 0),
To calculate the WAM for these outcomes, the student would do the following.
- 2 Credits (1cp x 60 + 1cp x 60) = 120
- 2 Distinctions (1cp x 75 + 1cp x 75) = 150
- 1 High Distinction (1cp x 80) = 80
- 1 Withdrawn Fail (1cp x 0) = 0
- 2 Withdrawn Late *** not included in the calculation***
Total achievable credit points = 6
Total 120+150+80+0 = 350
350/6 = course WAM of 58.3
Grades used in WAM calculation
The following table lists all outcomes which are used to calculate a WAM.
The mark range for each grade and the default WAM mark for those grades without a mark are as follows:
|Grade||Grade Description||Mark Range||Default WAM Mark *|
|XN||Not passed, not assessed||n/a||0|
|WN||Withdrawn - Fail||n/a||0|
|WRN||Withdrawn, debt remission with academic penalty||n/a||0|
* Default WAM Mark is only used where a student has a Grade without a Mark assigned. This is rarely required.
Grades not used in WAM calculation
The following table lists outcomes not used in the calculation of the WAM.
|EP||External Institution Pass (used for cross institutional units)|
|WR||Withdrawn, debt remission (no academic penalty)|
|RI, RIA, RIE||Unfinalised results|
|XA||Not to be assessed yet|
|RP||Result not applicable|
|SAA, SAE||Pending assessment|
If you have any queries about your WAM, contact your Faculty enrolment officer/course adviser.