Council is constituted as the governing authority of Deakin University by the legislation which established the University.
The primary responsibilities of the Council are set down in the Deakin University Act 2009 (Vic) and include:
- appointing and monitoring the performance of the Vice-Chancellor as chief executive officer of the University
- approving the mission and strategic direction of the University and its annual budget and business plan
- overseeing and reviewing the management of the University and its performance
- establishing policy and procedural principles for the operation of the University consistent with legal requirements and community expectations
- overseeing and monitoring the assessment and management of risk across the University
- overseeing and monitoring the academic activities of the University
- approving significant commercial activities and systems of control and accountability.
Council meeting dates
For 2015, Council meets on:
- 10 to 11 February Strategy conference
- 5 March
- 7 May
- 2 July
- 6 August
- 10 September
- 29 October
- 3 December.
Secretary contact for Council
The Secretary to Council is Dr Glenn Nicholls.
Telephone: 03 9246 8242