Council is the University's governing authority.
The primary responsibilities of the Council are set down in the Deakin University Act 2009 (Vic) and include:
- appointing and monitoring the performance of the Vice-Chancellor as chief executive officer of the University
- approving the mission and strategic direction of the University and its annual budget and business plan
- overseeing and reviewing the management of the University and its performance
- establishing policy and procedural principles for the operation of the University consistent with legal requirements and community expectations
- overseeing and monitoring the assessment and management of risk across the University
- overseeing and monitoring the academic activities of the University
- approving significant commercial activities and systems of control and accountability.
Council meeting dates
For 2015 Council meets on:
- 10 to 11 February Strategy conference
- 5 March
- 7 May
- 9 July
- 6 August
- 10 September
- 29 October
- 3 December.
Secretary contact for Council
The Secretary to Council is Dr Glenn Nicholls
03 9246 8242
The Executive Officer to Council is Rachel Haynes
03 5227 8913