Coping with a breakup
When a relationship ends, there are usually strong, painful, and at times, conflicting emotions. You may feel sad, angry, guilty, relief, betrayed, enraged or lonely after a break up. There is no easy way to get over losing someone who has been an important person in your life, but here are some tips to help you manage.
- Be kind to yourself. When you are feeling vulnerable and doubting yourself, you need to be your own best friend, not your own worst enemy.
- Don't expect too much too soon. Be aware of such comments like ‘What’s wrong with me? I should be over this by now.’ It takes time to heal and for your life to catch up with the change that has happened.
- Try and be around positive people, people who like you for who you are, and are able to understand that you will be unsettled for a while.
- Find someone to talk to about your thoughts and feelings.
- Where possible, maintain your routines e.g. getting up at the same time, exercising, sending children to work, etc
- Don’t immediately jump into another relationship.
Taking it further