Change your enrolment details

Ensure your enrolment details - including name, address and units - are up to date. Here are some ways to maintain it.

Your responsibility

You are responsible for ensuring that your enrolment is correct in every detail. You must make changes to enrolment by the relevant dates. Late changes may result in academic and/or financial penalties.

Do enrolment changes affect your funding, scholarship or visa?

If you receive any kind of Commonwealth financial assistance or a scholarship, check whether the changes to your enrolment will affect your eligibility for the scholarship or Youth Allowance before changing your enrolment.

You must also ensure that fee and University deadlines are met (refer to the Important Dates).

If you are an international student, check if the change will breach the terms of your student visa.

Change your name

Preferred name

You can change your preferred name at anytime in StudentConnect.  The option is under Enrol in unit/course in the left hand menu. Follow through the steps until your get to Step 2ii.

Legal name

If you change your name you must email Student Admissions and Enrolments  to notify them and attach certified documentation to support the name change. Acceptable forms of evidence are:

  • Birth certificate with change of name details
  • Citizenship certificate with change of name details
  • Change of name certificate
  • Deed poll document
  • Married or registered relationship certificate (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages)
  • Divorce decree/revocation of registered relationship or death certificate of spouse or adult partner of a registered relationship
  • Court order directing child's change of name

Please note that the marriage certificate issued on the day of the wedding, known as a commemorative certificate, is not sufficient. The marriage certificate must be issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Alternatively you can take your original documents to Deakin Central where they will copy them and send them to Student Admissions and Enrolments for you.

Change your address

If you move house, you should change your address details online in StudentConnect within seven days.

It is possible to have two addresses:

  • your postal address (so where your mail is sent) 
  • your home address (so where you live when not studying). 

Deakin University cannot accept responsibility for problems that occur as a consequence of incorrect or inadequate address information having been provided.

Cloud (online) change to nominated exam location

If you are a Cloud (online) student, you should also amend your nominated examination location if it is affected by your move to a new address.

Add or drop units

You should always seek advice from a faculty course adviser  before making any changes to your enrolment. Enrolment variations must adhere to the course and unit rules for your course.

If you want to change your enrolment in any trimester of study, vary your enrolment online in StudentConnect.

It is important that you are aware of the dates for adding and deleting units for each trimester.  These dates effect the result for the unit and if fees are payable.

If you have any difficulty changing your enrolment online then you should seek advice from a faculty course advisor and  submit an Enrolment Variation form (PDF, 90.7 KB) to them.

How this changes your fees

If you vary your enrolment, your tuition fees and the Student Services and Amenities Fee (if applicable) may be reassessed. You can check your fees in StudentConnect. In special circumstances, you can apply for a remission of debt if you withdraw from their units after the census dates.

Make a course change

You may wish to change some of your courses details:

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: