Visa renewal

Students renewing their visas should refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for up-to-date and complete information. If you have specific questions about your student visa, you may also seek assistance from a Compliance Officer or an International Student Adviser.

Please be aware of your visa assessment level and the requirements (including financial requirements) for your country.

Steps to renew your student visa

We strongly urge you to start the visa-renewal process at least 4-6 weeks BEFORE your student visa expires.

Deakin University encourages all students to apply for their visa renewals ONSHORE in Australia. Applying for offshore locations may result in delays and prevent you from returning to Australia in time to commence your studies.

Step 1Download a Visa Application Document Checklist. This checklist gives you information about the supporting documentation you are required to lodge with your student visa application. It also lists additional documents that you may need to provide depending on your individual circumstances.
Step 2Book an appointment with a Faculty Course Adviser.
You will need to download the Endorsement for a change of course duration and CoE form and take it with you to the meeting. This form needs to be completed by a Faculty Course Adviser.
Step 3Renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if necessary. OSHC needs to be valid until the end of your course.
Please contact your OSHC provider for assistance with renewing your cover.
Step 4Take the completed Endorsement for an extension of course duration and eCOE form, evidence that you have extended your OSHC cover and your passport or electronic visa to Deakin Central on your campus. Deakin Central will issue you with the documents you need to renew your visa such as your new CoE, your progression letter and your official transcript of results.


*This may take up to 5 working days.
*There is no fee involved in obtaining your academic transcript for visa-renewal purposes. Tell Deakin Central that the transcript is to be used for visa renewal in your email and include your overseas address. Your transcript will be sent to you by post. Allow up to five working days for delivery.
Step 5Collect your new CoE, progression letter and official transcript of results from Deakin Central when advised to do so.

Important note: You should lodge your visa application within 45 days of the date your CoE is issued, otherwise it will expire and you will not be able to use it. Also make sure that you lodge your visa application BEFORE the course start date listed on your CoE. Deakin will not issue a new CoE if you fail to lodge your application in time.
Step 6Read the information about the health process for visa applicants before you lodge your visa application. This will advise you about the process of obtaining a medical for visa purposes.
If a health examination is required, book an appointment for a medical examination and X-Ray with Medibank Health Solutions.
Step 7Lodge your visa application online or by post.  Students are encouraged to lodge their visa applications online. You can also lodge your visa application by post or in person at your nearest DIBP office.

We strongly recommend that you lodge your visa application onshore in Australia. Lodging an application overseas may result in delays that prevent you returning on time.
Step 8More information about your student visa can be found on the DIBP website.

Important notes

  • You may need to do an English language proficiency (IELTS) test. If you are required to take an IELTS test, you must sit for the exam before you apply for a student visa.
  • Students are encouraged to apply for the IELTS exam at least 4-6 weeks BEFORE their current student visa expires. There is a very high demand for these tests and it may take a while to confirm a booking.
  • Please make sure that you are aware of the living costs and evidence of funds requirements of your student visa.

Applying online

Students who are applying to renew their visa in Australia are strongly encouraged to lodge their visa application online. If you are applying online, you will need a credit card to pay for the application fee.  When have completed your application, you will be issued with a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) to confirm that your application has been received by DIBP.

The Immigration website provides information about renewing your visa online. Please read this information carefully and contact DIBP directly if you have any questions. (A Compliance Officer or an  International Student Adviser may be able to give you simple advice on the process.)

Back to top