2022 Study information for international students
We are excited to welcome our international students back to campus in 2022.
Whether you are travelling to Australia or studying in 2022 outside Australia, we are hoping to make your arrangements as easy as possible. We have provided a range of information below outlining the steps you need to take to return to your study in Australia. With ongoing changes to international travel make sure you revisit this page to get the latest information and check out our International student FAQs.
On this page
Let Deakin know your plans to return to Australia
To ensure we can assist you to make the best transition to Australia and to continue with your study we need to know your travel plans or if you are planning to study from your home country in 2022.
Please complete the Study and arrival plans online form to let us know if you are returning in 2022, 2023 or plan to remain in your home country and study online.
*Some conditions apply. Check the airport pick up form for details.
Enrolling for 2022
You course information, course map and requirements can be found in the University Handbook. If you need some help or advice to select your units, book a course advice appointment with a Student Adviser.
Studying on campus
If you are enrolled as an on-campus student, you are required to enrol into a full-time study load and return to Australia. International students on a student visa, are advised to return to on-campus studies from Trimester/Semester 2 2022. The Department of Home Affairs requires students to submit a student visa application as soon as a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is granted. You must follow the regular enrolment requirements applicable to student visa holders.
You should make sure your Trimester/Semester 2 2022 enrolment is correct before the study period begins. You can enrol in the units through StudentConnect.
Studying offshore if you cannot return to Australia
If you are unable to return to Australia, you must complete the Study and arrival plans online form and provide the supporting documents, so we do not report to the Department of Home Affairs by way of cancellation of your CoE.
You can only continue your studies online while your student visa application is pending with the Department of Home Affairs or if there is a lockdown in your home country due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please complete the Study and arrival plans online form and submit evidence to support your compassionate or compelling circumstances or proof of your pending student visa application.
Please note from 2023 all international students on a student visa will be required to return to Australia and study full-time.
2022 commencing students
If you're studying with us for the first time in 2022, you'll receive an email with all the information you need about activating your account and enrolling into your units. After you've enrolled, visit our Get Started site to find out what's next!
Travel requirements for Australia
- Read the Preparing to travel to Australia from Overseas website to understand your travel obligations.
- If you were vaccinated overseas, you need to present a foreign vaccination certificate which meets Australian government requirements.
- Complete the Digital Passenger Declaration (DPD) at least 72 hours before travel.
- Follow the ‘submit your declaration’ instructions. You can submit by downloading the app or completing the Digital Passenger Declaration online.
- You will need to show evidence of your completed declaration before your board your flight.
Booking flights to Australia
You may find that flights may be difficult to secure due to high demand. Consider undertaking your search for flights well in advance of your intended departure date. Continue to check the website prior to purchasing any flights.
Planning your accommodation
When planning your accommodation in Australia, we recommend you initially book your short-term accommodation or stay with someone you already know in Australia. This gives you the opportunity to personally inspect and secure long-term accommodation and make sure you are signing a lease/accommodation agreement with a legitimate provider. It is also important to know the distance of the accommodation from campus and the services and public transport available.
Arriving in Australia
We can help you make arrangements to be picked up from Tullamarine or Avalon airports. This is a free service and you can register for it by completing our Airport pickup online form.
If you have at least two doses of a vaccine approved or recognised by Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), or aged below 12 years and 2 months, then you must: or if aged under 12 and 2 months:
- Read the detail about the current obligations and information for travellers who are fully vaccinated arriving in Victoria. There are some restrictions about entering sensitive settings such as childcare, education, and how long you must carry evidence of your negative COVID test for after you arrive.
- Update your contact details - update your address and contact details in StudentConnect. Updating your personal details is a condition of your student visa.
Not fully vaccinated or exempted
International arrivals aged 18 and over who do not have at least two doses of the vaccine (excluding those with a medical exemption) will be required to undertake 7 days of hotel quarantine.
Please note: If you are not fully vaccinated and do not hold a valid exemption you must contact Deakin before travelling.
Register your vaccination with Deakin
Deakin’s campuses are open to fully vaccinated students, staff, and visitors. You'll need to register and provide evidence of your vaccination with Deakin and with the Department of Health.
- Deakin vaccination registration - complete the COVID-19 vaccination online form. To find out more about the evidence you'll need to provide and how we're providing a COVIDSafe campus experience, visit our vaccination article.
- Australian vaccination requirements - visit the Victorian Government Information for overseas travellers site to find out the latest vaccination requirements.
Orientation and connecting at Deakin
Once you've completed all your arrival requirements, look into all these ways to start connecting back into the community.
- Deakin University student societies are great ways to start to reconnect to the Deakin community. Visit the DUSA website to check-out upcoming events, clubs and societies.
- Connect with Deakin’s social groups on DeakinLife Instagram, Deakin Student Life Facebook and join our DeakinLife International Student Group.
- You can also stay up to date with Deakin’s events, activities, and the latest news by checking out Deakin Life blog.
- For Orientation information visit our Get Started blog.
Where to get assistance
- Student Central is the starting point to assist you with the ability to prioritise the support you need.
- As per your student Visa financial requirement, all international students must have enough money to pay for your travel, study costs, living expenses and your stay in Australia.
- Financial advice and support is available through Study Melbourne, visit the employment and finances webpage for further information.
- In emergency situations only, there is a range of financial assistance options are available - see the Financial assistance webpage for more information. You can contact a Financial Assistance Officer through Student Central.
Health and wellbeing support
Deakin offers a range of services to support your physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- Deakin Medical Centre – initial consultations are free with your Overseas Health Cover (OSHC).
- Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) – free and confidential support from qualified counsellors and social workers.
- Disability support – if you have a disability, health or mental health condition that affects your study or participation in uni life, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) can help with information and services.
- Multifaith chaplains – offering compassionate support to everyone, whether you’re religious or not. We also have prayer rooms located on campus for your convenience.