Why Deakin? See for yourself at Open Day.


Frequently asked questions about OS-HELP

Please read this page before completing an OS-HELP application form.

Application and payment

I have applied for OS-HELP in 2014. When will I be notified of the outcome?

OS-HELP applications will be assessed within 28 days of receipt and all applicants will be notified of the outcome through their Deakin email address.

I would like to apply for OS-HELP however I am departing for overseas soon and I won't have access to a computer or my emails while overseas.

You will need to nominate a Power of Attorney and attach a copy of the General Power of Attorney form to your OS-HELP application. A Power of Attorney is someone who resides in Australia who is able to fill in forms containing your Deakin course details, your overseas study commencement date, your bank account details and tax file number on your behalf so that payment of your OS-HELP loan can be arranged while you are overseas. The General Power of Attorney form can be obtained from the Office of the Public Advocate

Please Note: Appointing a General Power of Attorney is a legal matter separate to the OS-HELP loan application. Deakin University encourages you to seek legal advice regarding appointing a General Power of Attorney.

If I am eligible for an OS-HELP loan, what happens next?

An email will be sent to your Deakin email address confirming an offer of an OS-HELP loan. An OS-HELP acceptance form and a debt confirmation form will also be posted to your home address, which will need to be completed and returned to the University so that your OS-HELP loan can be paid. 

You will need to return these forms within three months of the date of the offer. Failure to return your OS-HELP forms within a three-month time period will cause your OS-HELP loan offer to lapse.

When will my OS-HELP loan be paid?

Once the OS-HELP office has received the completed OS-HELP debt confirmation form and OS-HELP acceptance form, payment of your OS-HELP loan should be made by electronic funds transfer within ten business to your nominated Australian bank account. You will be notified of this payment through your Deakin email address.

The OS-HELP loan has been paid, but my circumstances have changed.

Before being paid: If you are offered an OS-HELP loan and your circumstances change and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria, or no longer require the OS-HELP loan, or it is determined that you have provided false or misleading information, Deakin University is obliged to withdraw the loan offer.

After being paid: If the loan has already been paid to you and your circumstances change and you are no longer eligible or able to study overseas, the debt has already been incurred and you will need to repay the debt through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

If it is discovered, or there is reason to believe that you provided false or misleading information as part of the application process and you have already incurred an OS-HELP debt, Deakin University must notify the Department of Education immediately of the suspected offence.

I am studying for 12 months overseas. Am I eligible for a second loan?

If you are studying overseas for two six month periods, you may apply for a second loan. Your second OS-HELP application can be completed at the time you apply for the first loan or in a later round, and it is highly recommended that you nominate a General Power of Attorney to complete forms on your behalf while you are overseas. The second loan can only be paid six months after you first received OS-HELP assistance when your study is confirmed and that you are still eligible to receive this second loan under the eligibility criteria.  

You are eligible to access no more than two loans from any Australian higher education provider in your lifetime.

I have a question about OS-HELP that's not listed here.

Please email os-help@deakin.edu.au and we will endeavour to respond to your query within three business days.

Studying in Asia

What countries can I study in to be eligible for the increased maximum loan amount for overseas study in Asia and supplementary amount for Asian language study?

You will be considered to be undertaking overseas study in Asia if you are undertaking study in at least one of the following countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Timor-Leste, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.

What if I am studying in Asia but not in one of the countries listed above?

You will need to complete the OS-HELP Application 2014 form and can borrow a maximum of $6,250. You will not be eligible to borrow a supplementary amount for Asian language study.

What sort of study can I do to receive a supplementary amount for Asian language study?

Your Asian language study will need to help you prepare for your overseas study in Asia, and will assist you by providing general language skills which you can use in your destination country. 

The language study can be a short course undertaken at a language school, TAFE or other institution where you will incur a cost for that study. 

However, you will not be able to receive a supplementary amount if your Asian language study is part of your course at Deakin where you are paying HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP (for example, Chinese 2A).

I would like to complete an Asian language study prior to my overseas program. What evidence do I need to provide with my application to obtain the supplementary amount?

You can provide one of the following along with your application: 

  • Proof of enrolment in the Asian language study 
  • Proof of application for admission to the language study 
  • A statutory declaration detailing the type of language study to be undertaken, the provider of the language study, the language study commencement date and the cost of the study.

I have already completed an Asian language study. Can I apply for the supplementary amount?

Unfortunately you will not be able to apply for the supplementary amount if you have already completed the Asian language study.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated:

Back to top