Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation


FEE-HELP is a loan program that assists eligible fee paying students to pay their tuition fees at higher education providers. FEE-HELP does not cover accommodation, technology, text books or your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

How does FEE-HELP work?

As a FEE-HELP student your invoice will show your tuition fees as owing. Any tuition fees not paid defer to your HELP debt shortly after the census date each study period.

If you take out a FEE-HELP loan, the Commonwealth Government pays the loan amount directly to Deakin on your behalf and a HELP debt is recorded for you with the Australian Taxation Office.

Be aware there may be other fees or charges you'll need to pay which are not covered by HELP.  You should check your invoice on StudentConnect to see if you have any outstanding amounts.

FEE-HELP applies for the duration of your course. If you intermit your studies your FEE-HELP form will remain in place. If you transfer to another course you will need to complete a new FEE-HELP form.

If you need further help, contact Student Central.


You must meet the following eligibility criteria:

You must be one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen studying at least one unit of your course in Australia*
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder, or eligible former New Zealand SCV holder, who meets the long-term residency requirements and studying your entire course while living in Australia
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder, or an eligible former permanent humanitarian visa holder, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your studies or
  • a pacific engagement visa (PEV) holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your studies.

You must also:

* You will not be eligible for Commonwealth support or a HELP loan if we reasonably believe that you will not undertake any of your course in Australia.

FEE-HELP applies for the duration of your course even if you intermit your studies. If you transfer to a new course, you need to complete a new FEE-HELP form – only one form needs to be completed per course.

Eligible courses are:

  • accredited undergraduate and postgraduate award programs
  • courses to enable students to meet the requirements for entry into an award program.

Bridging studies for overseas-trained professionals

If you are an Australian permanent resident you can apply for a FEE-HELP loan for approved bridging studies undertaken in Australia (conditions and eligibility apply). A bridging course is for overseas-trained professionals to enable them to meet entry requirements for their profession in Australia.

Is FEE-HELP means tested?

No, FEE-HELP is not means tested. If you meet the citizenship criteria, residency requirements and are studying an eligible course you can access FEE-HELP.

If you need further help, contact Student Central.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services