Fee payment assistance

Get help paying your fees and study-related expenses.

Higher Education Loan Programs (HELP)

HECS-HELP provides students in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) with a loan to cover their student contribution amount and/or a discount if they choose to pay all, or at least $500, of their student contribution amount up front.

If you take out a HECS-HELP loan, the Commonwealth pays the loan amount directly to Deakin on your behalf and a HECS-HELP debt is recorded for you with the Australian Taxation Office.

Be aware that there may be other fees or charges you'll need to pay the University which are not covered by HELP.

Eligibility criteria

  • Students must be Australian citizens or holders of a permanent humanitarian visa, in a CSP
  • New Zealand citizens and holders of a permanent visa in a CSP are unable to access this loan scheme and are required to pay the full student contribution amount up front.

Note From 1 January 2013, a person will not be eligible for Commonwealth support or a HELP loan if a higher education provider reasonably expects the person will not undertake any of their course of study in Australia.

Student contribution payment methods

  • Pay all of your student contribution up front and receive a HECS-HELP discount of 10% i.e. you only pay 90% of your contribution amount.
  • Receive a HECS-HELP loan for the full student contribution (previously referred to as deferring your HECS).
  • Pay some of your student contribution up front (and receive a 10% discount on payments over $500) and receive a HECS-HELP loan for the balance.

How to apply for HECS HELP

If you would like to obtain HECS-HELP please complete an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) via StudentConnect.

Changes in citizenship status

If you have changed your citizenship status you must have attended your Citizenship ceremony before the Census date and provide a certified copy of your citizenship certificate in order to be eligible for HELP loans for that study period. This will not retroactively affect any fees for previous study periods.

More information

Visit the StudyAssist.

FEE-HELP is a loan programme that assists eligible fee paying students to pay their tuition fees at higher education providers.

Eligibility criteria

  • Students must be Australian citizens or holders of a permanent humanitarian visa, in a fee-paying place
  • Holders of other permanent visas are not eligible for FEE-HELP unless they are undertaking a bridging course for overseas trained professionals

Courses eligible for FEE-HELP

  • Accredited undergraduate award programs
  • Accredited postgraduate award programs
  • Bridging courses for overseas trained professionals to enable them to meet the requirements for entry into their profession in Australia
  • Courses to enable students to meet the requirements for entry into an award program
  • Units of study made available by higher education providers, access to which was provided by Open Learning Australia

Note From 1 January 2013, a person will not be eligible for a HELP loan if a higher education provider reasonably expects the person will not undertake any of their course of study in Australia.

FEE-HELP limits



2014 $96 000
$120 002 for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science
2015 $97 728
$122 162 for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science

The FEE-HELP limit is the maximum that a student can borrow under FEE-HELP over their lifetime. This limit excludes any loan fee.

A loan fee of 25% applies to FEE-HELP loans for undergraduate courses of study only.

How to apply for FEE HELP

If you would like to access FEE-HELP please complete an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) via StudentConnect.

If completed correctly your form will be automatically approved upon submission.

You will only need to apply for FEE-HELP once within a course and it will carry over for each study period for as long as the course lasts. If you change courses or start a new one then you will need to complete another eCAF.

HELP loans will automatically cease upon either completion or withdrawal from a course with no further action required.

More information

Visit the StudyAssist.

Eligible students who do not wish to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) upfront to the University can request assistance from the Commonwealth, and defer the fee through an element of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) known as SA-HELP.

The amount of the loan will be added to the student's accumulated HELP debt.

Student contribution payment methods

Eligible students may choose to:

  • pay some of the fee upfront and obtain a SA-HELP loan for the remainder
  • obtain a loan for the full amount of the fee.

Eligibility criteria

Students must:

  • be Australian citizens or holders of a permanent humanitarian visa who are residing in Australia
  • be enrolled in an eligible course of study with a higher education provider
  • meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements
  • complete the online SA-HELP form by the census date each Trimester/Semester.

How to apply for SA-HELP

To apply for SA-HELP go to StudentConnect and select the SA-HELP menu option.

More information

Visit the StudyAssist.

OS-HELP is a loan scheme to assist eligible Commonwealth supported students, who are based in Australia, to undertake some of their study overseas. The purpose of OS-HELP is to assist students with their study travel expenses, such as airfares and accommodation.

Deakin University administers OS-HELP in accordance with the Department of Education guidelines.  The program operates on an application/acceptance basis.  If your application is approved, a letter will be sent to your nominated address. You must complete and return the enclosed paperwork to enable the payment to be made.

Eligible students may borrow one loan (up to the maximum amount) per six-month study period. The six month study period starts on the first day of a student's overseas study.  Even if the student's overseas study is not for the full 6 months period, the student will not be able to receive an OS-HELP loan for any additional overseas study which commences during the 6 month period.  OS-HELP does not operate on a Trimester or Semester basis.

Students may only receive a maximum of two OS-HELP loans over their lifetime.

An OS-HELP debt will be incurred when the OS-HELP loan amount is paid into the student's nominated bank account by Deakin.

OS-HELP limit (maximum amount you can borrow):

2015: $6362

or $7635 if you are studying in Asia (in one of 26 eligible countries), plus a supplementary amount of $1018 if you will be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for study in Asia.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for OS-HELP assistance, you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
  • be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course of study at Deakin University in a Commonwealth supported place (eligible for HECS-HELP)
  • have already successfully completed at least 8 credit points (1 EFTSL) in the same course of study as the one in which the overseas study is being undertaken
  • have at least 1 credit point (0.125 EFTSL) of study remaining to complete on your course after your overseas study is finished
  • be enrolled full-time (i.e. enrolled in units amounting to at least 75% of a full-time load) in an approved study program and will be undertaking that study outside Australia
  • have your overseas study count as credit towards your enrolled Deakin course
  • have not received OS-HELP assistance for overseas study on more than one other occasion (not including supplementary amounts for Asian language study)
  • have not received OS-HELP for overseas study which commenced within six month's of each other
  • have not been granted OS-HELP assistance by another university for an overlapping six month period
  • be selected to take part in an overseas program by Deakin and appropriately enrolled on Student Connect in the unit(s) required for that program
  • have not completed the overseas study before making an application for an OS-HELP loan.

How to apply for OS-HELP
  1. Read the above Eligibility Criteria and Frequently asked questions about OS-HELP page prior to applying.   
  2. To apply for the 2015 OS-HELP Program complete the applicable application form. Applications open Wednesday 7 January 2015.
    OS-HELP application form - Asia
    OS-HELP application form - All other countries
  3. Send the application form to: 

Selection criteria

Annual funding from the Australian Government is limited. If more applications are received than we have funding to provide, loans will be awarded on the following basis:

  • students who are undertaking study in the current academic year
  • students who can demonstrate financial hardship and/or educational disadvantage
  • allocated on the basis of academic merit using the students' weighted average marks in their current course.

More information

Paying back HELP loans

You'll need to start repaying your debt as soon as your repayment income is above a certain threshold (which is adjusted every year) even if you're still studying. How much you'll repay each year will be a percentage proportionate to what your income is. The Australian Tax Office (ATO) will include the repayment in your income tax notice of assessment.

You can make voluntary repayments at any time, for any amount, to the ATO.

You can find further information through StudyAssist..

Changes to HELP

Potential upcoming changes to the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)

Depending on whether legislation is passed by the Australian Government, the HECS-HELP discount of 10 per cent for eligible students that pay their student contributions upfront and the voluntary HELP repayment bonus of five per cent may become no longer available in future.

Keep up to date and informed by visiting the StudyAssist.

More information

Deakin Central

If you need more information or assistance regarding Fee Payment Assistance you can visit or contact Deakin Central.

Study Assist

This website provides up-to-date information about Australian Government assistance for financing tertiary study. For more information, visit or call 1800 020 108.


This website contains tax information for individuals or students about schemes that support education being undertaken. For more information, visit

Other financial support

Deakin can help you navigate through the various types of financial support available to you while you study. Some of that support comes from the University and some from the government.

Deakin financial assistance can help you with budgeting and how to manage and avoid debt. Find out about grants and loans that can help you cover study and living expenses.

Government financial assistance with living expenses is also available, including Centrelink benefits, Health Care Cards and help paying a bond when renting.

Scholarships and awards - we offer a wide range of scholarships to help students from many different backgrounds pay for their university fees. Students may also be eligible for prizes and awards.

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated: