Sexual health and relationships Deakin support
Sexual health includes avoiding sexually transmitted infections and unplanned pregnancies but it also includes feeling good about who you are attracted to and the decisions you make around sexual activity. Regardless of gender or sexuality, sexual health is something that we all need to think and talk about.
For advice and support, there are a range of internal Deakin services as well as organisations who specialise in sexual and reproductive health, they provide information, education, support and counselling services.
Deakin Medical Centres
The Medical Centres on campus can assist in providing confidential and non judgemental advice and information, appointments can be made by contacting Student Life on your campus or via online appointments. Services include;
- Contraception information
- Sexual health checks including chlamydia testing and treatment
- Pregnancy counselling, support and referral
- Personal safety advice and information
A Personal Counselling and Support service is available to all students of Deakin, this is free and confidential.
Equity and Diversity Ally network
Deakin University acknowledges the GLBTIQ community and the challenges for students and staff who are gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, intersex, queer or questioning their sexuality and seek to support these students and staff. Information is available on the Ally Network page.
- Marie Stopes International - helping women with all aspects of sexual and reproductive healthcare. Clinics are located across Victoria and are completely confidential.
- Let Them Know - to help people diagnosed with chlamydia tell their sexual partners. Resources include anonymous email and SMS facilities. Developed by the Melbourne Sexual Health Centre
- STI Testing, Prevention and Treatment - Australian Government site providing useful resources for young people including condom cards and new fact sheets.
- Drama DownUnder - information about the most commonly experienced sexually transmitted infections (STIs) experienced by gay men
- Melbourne Sexual Health Centre - specialises in providing diagnosis, testing and education relating to sexually transmissible infections
- Herpes.com.au - information and advice about genital herpes
- Family Planning Victoria - a range of educational and referral information on sexual health top
- HIV, Hepatitis and STI Education and Resource Centre - free community resource for Victorians, providing fact sheets, librarian assistance, newsletters and presentations
- Victorian AIDS Council (VAC) - aims to improve the social, mental, emotional and physical health and wellbeing of the Victorian HIV positive communities