Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Disaster and civil unrest


World-wide we are experiencing many natural disasters, global conflicts, civil unrest and human rights issues.

At Deakin, we offer a range of support to impacted students and staff who are facing overseas conflicts, civil unrest and human rights issues that may be directly impacting them or their loved ones.

We encourage our students to reach out to our support services to seek help or be referred to another service.

What to do

Student Central

Contact Student Central in the first instance for help – they can give you tailored advice, referrals and support. Ask about your course requirements and other enrolment needs, including course and unit advice, full-time and part-time study options, and intermission and visa compliance advice.

Academic and study support

We want to help all students achieve their study outcomes and goals. A range of help is available through our Study Support resources and programs.

If you need more time to complete any assessment tasks or are worried about your upcoming exams, the first step is to contact your relevant unit chair, who can discuss assignment extensions or special consideration options.

Financial support

A range of financial assistance options are available. You can also contact a financial assistance officer through Student Central to discuss your individual circumstances.

Health and wellbeing support

During such a challenging time, it is vital that you look after your physical and mental health and wellbeing. If you are in Australia, you can access the following services:

  • Deakin Medical Centre provide free consultations with your Overseas Health Cover (OSHC).
  • Deakin's Counselling service provide free and confidential support from qualified counsellors and social workers.
  • Disability support can assist if you have a disability, health or mental health condition that affects your study or participation in university life.
  • Multifaith chaplains offer compassionate support to everyone, whether you’re religious or not.

Please note: Due to legislation and professional standards, Deakin is unable to provide counselling and therapeutic advice to students located offshore. If you are permanently located overseas, please contact your local healthcare provider for advice and support.

Specialist international student support

If you need additional help, contact a student adviser at  Student Central, who can assess your situation and refer you to an International Student Support Officer to connect you with other key services at Deakin or in the community.

DUSA support

Deakin’s student union can help you in a range of ways, including through student advocacy and legal services.

Getting support

Support at Deakin

At Deakin, we advise you contact Student Central in the first instance for help – they can give you tailored advice, referrals and support.

Locating family members or friends in a crisis

If you are trying to locate family members or friends who may have been impacted during a disaster, there are a couple of avenues open to you.

Use the SmartTraveller website to access advice if a family member or friend is missing while travelling or living overseas.

Contact  Australian Red Cross who work as part of the International Red Cross to help with restoring family links and finding missing loved ones during conflict, war, or natural disaster.

Mental health and wellbeing support

For urgent support, contact  Lifeline (13 11 14) or SuicideLine (1300 651 251) straight away. These services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The Red Cross has a range of resources to help you when dealing with an emergency including coping with a crisis.

Beyond Blue also offers a range of resources and support to assist the wider community.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services