Motivation during times of change
Some changes in your life are within your choosing, other changes are outside of your control. Either way, change involves a loss of something familiar, and the development of something new. Some changes can be distressing and some pleasant, with many people experiencing periods of positive personal growth during times of change.
Our life is always going through changes. Some common ones include when someone close to us dies, a relationship ends, and even the start and end of university study. They all represent transitions in life.
Your wellbeing can be affected during times of change. Because of this, it is important to care for yourself so that you can keep studying as well as you can. If the changes that have taken place feel overwhelming, talking to a counsellor can help you deal with and adjust to the change.
What to do
The first step to remaining motivated during times of change is to embrace it. Change what you can control and accept the things you cannot control. Here are some tips for staying motivated as things change around you.
- Try your best to work towards your goals every day, celebrate the small successes and big achievements will surely follow.
- Focus on what you want out of your study or work.
- Challenge yourself in new and different ways.
- Remind yourself what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. What were your goals when you started? What have you achieved so far? Who would you be letting down if you gave up?
- Visualise a successful outcome.
- Take a break and treat yourself be that eating out, seeing a movie or even a short holiday.
- Break down big challenges into smaller ones you can achieve and celebrate each small victory.
- Share your challenges and ask for support.
At Deakin, counsellors are available through the Deakin's Counselling service to help adjust to change and life transitions.
More help and advice
The Deakin Life blog can help you get and keep your study mojo.
this. unpacks the science of motivation.
healthdirect provides tips on what to do if you lose motivation.