Apply for CoE

All students on a student visa are required to have a valid CoE at all times. It is your responsibility to ensure that your CoE is up to date and current.

Although a CoE is always needed to renew your student visa, it is also a very important document even after you have been granted your visa. Your CoE is the document that tells the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) of your current enrolment status. If your CoE has finished or is cancelled, it notifies DIBP that you are no longer studying and prompts them to cancel you student visa.

Before applying for a new CoE, please read the important information at the bottom of this page.

To get a new CoE, you will need to follow these simple steps:

  1. Get an Endorsement for a change of course duration and CoE from Deakin Central and take this to your Faculty for approval.
    Note: You will need to see a Faculty Enrolment Officer/Course Adviser to have this form completed and approved.  
  2. If you need a new CoE to extend your student visa, you will need to extend your OSHC to cover the remainder of your course.   
  3. Take your signed Endorsement for a change of course duration and CoE form, proof of extension of your OSHC cover and your passport to Deakin central to apply for your new CoE.

Note: A new eCOE may take up to 5 working days to receive.


The University is only permitted to extend the duration of the student's study where it is clear that the student will not complete the course within the expected duration, as specified on the student's CoE, as a result of:

  • Compassionate or compelling circumstances (for example in the case of illness where a medical certificate is evidence of the student's inability to attend classes for an extended period or where the course progression rules prevent a student from completing certain units because they may have failed a prerequisite unit);
  • The University implementing its intervention strategy for students who are at risk of unsatisfactory academic progress; or
  • An approved deferment or intermission of student has been granted.

Under standard 9 of the National Code, international students are required to complete their course within the expected duration. The University is not permitted to issue a CoE to enable to student to extend their visa unless in the case of one of the above exceptions.

Where a student has failed a unit and that failure will impact on the expected course duration, DSA will send a letter to the student advising them of the fail and how to seek assistance within the University. DSA will put an intervention note type on Callista that will indicate that, in such circumstances, the student can be issued a new CoE.

If you have deliberately under-enrolled each trimester without Faculty approval and have not made up the time in T3, you may not be allowed to get a new CoE. In the case that a new CoE can not be issued, you can transfer to off campus mode and complete your degree from your home country.

Further information about this can be found in Standard 9 of the National Code.

Please read our full list of FAQs about your CoE for more information/

Back to top