Apply or Extend CoE

All students on a student visa are required to have a valid CoE at all times. It is your responsibility to ensure that your CoE is up to date and current. It is also your responsibility to ensure that you apply for a new CoE early if you need to extend your visa. Deakin staff will not be able to issue a CoE on the spot. You should apply for a CoE at least 10 working days before you need to lodge your visa application.

Although a CoE is always needed to renew your student visa, it is also a very important document even after you have been granted your visa. Your CoE is the document that tells the Department of Home Affairs of your current enrolment status. If your CoE has finished or is cancelled, it notifies the Department of Home Affairs that you are no longer studying and prompts them to cancel your student visa.

Before applying for a new CoE, please read the important information at the bottom of this page.

To get a new CoE, you will need to follow these simple steps:

  1. Complete the online Endorsement for a change of course duration and CoE form. You should submit this ONCE only. Submitting the form more than once will delay your application.
    Note: You may need to see a Faculty Enrolment Officer/Course Adviser to have this form completed and approved. Your Faculty will contact you after you submit the form IF they need to see you. If you do not hear  from your Faculty, you do not need to see an Enrolment Officer/Course Adviser.
  2. Your application for a new CoE will take up to 10 working days to process. You should submit your online application at least 10 working days before your need your new CoE. Deakin will not be able to issue a CoE at the last minute.
  3. If you need a new CoE to extend your student visa, you will need to extend your OSHC to cover the duration of your new visa.
  4. Once the Faculty has processed your application and endorsed a new CoE, your new CoE will be emailed to you at the email address provided in your application.

Note: A new CoE will take up to 10 working days to receive.


The University is only permitted to extend the duration of the student's study where it is clear that the student will not complete the course within the expected duration, as specified on the student's CoE, as a result of:

  • Compassionate or compelling circumstances (for example in the case of illness where a medical certificate is evidence of the student's inability to attend classes for an extended period or where the course progression rules prevent a student from completing certain units because they may have failed a prerequisite unit);
  • The University implementing its intervention strategy for students who are at risk of unsatisfactory academic progress; or
  • An approved deferment or intermission of student has been granted.

Under standard 9 of the National Code, international students are required to complete their course within the expected duration. The University is not permitted to issue a CoE to enable the student to extend their visa unless in the case of one of the above exceptions.

Where a student has failed a unit and that failure will impact on the expected course duration, DSA will send a letter to the student advising them of the failure and how to seek assistance within the University. DSA will update Callista to indicate that an intervention has been put in place, in such circumstances, the student can be issued a new CoE.

If you have deliberately under-enrolled each trimester without Faculty approval and have not made up the time in T3, you may not be issued a new CoE. In the case that a new CoE can not be issued, you can transfer to off campus mode and complete your degree from your home country.

Further information about this can be found in Standard 9 of the National Code.

Please read our full list of FAQs about your CoE for more information.

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: