Apply or Extend CoE
All students on a student visa are required to have a valid CoE at all times. It is your responsibility to ensure that your CoE is up to date and current. It is also your responsibility to ensure that you apply for a new CoE early if you need to extend your visa. Deakin staff will not be able to issue a CoE on the spot. You should apply for a CoE at least 10 working days before you need to lodge your visa application.
Although a CoE is always needed to renew your student visa, it is also a very important document even after you have been granted your visa. Your CoE is the document that tells the Department of Home Affairs of your current enrolment status. If your CoE has finished or is cancelled, it notifies the Department of Home Affairs that you are no longer studying.
Before applying for a new CoE, please read the important information at the bottom of this page.
To get a new CoE, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Complete the online Endorsement for a change of course duration and CoE form. You should submit this ONCE only. Submitting the form more than once will delay your application.
Note: You may need to see a Faculty Enrolment Officer/Course Adviser to have this form completed and approved. Your Faculty will contact you after you submit the form IF they need to see you. If you do not hear from your Faculty, you do not need to see an Enrolment Officer/Course Adviser.
- Your application for a new CoE will take up to 10 working days to process. You should submit your online application at least 10 working days before your need your new CoE. Deakin will not be able to issue a CoE at the last minute.
- If you need a new CoE to extend your student visa, you will need to extend your OSHC to cover the duration of your new visa.
- Once the Faculty has processed your application and endorsed a new CoE, your new CoE will be emailed to you at the email address provided in your application.
Note: A new CoE will take up to 10 working days to receive.
Applying for a new CoE when you have a pending result
You are eligible and can apply for a Coe extension if your current visa will finish prior to result release date plus 2 weeks for one of the following results in your final study period. This includes if you have been approved for Final Unit to Complete (FUTC) by a supplementary assessment or exam:
Result not finalised
used where it is not possible to finalise an individual student's result at the time of submission of results
Result not finalised
special assessment task granted in response to application for Special Consideration
Result not finalised
special assessment task (examination) granted in response to application for Special Consideration
supplementary assessment task awarded by the relevant Faculty Committee
supplementary assessment task (examination) awarded by the relevant Faculty Committee
- RI—COE Extension will only be granted if University is unable to finalise results prior to end date of your visa
- RIA, SAA – these assessments are offered by the unit chair and results are expected within 10 working days after your assessment deadline. You will only be granted CoE extension only if your visa will finish prior to result release date plus 2 weeks
- If your result release date for supplementary exams is expected to be more than 6 months, you will not be issued CoE, you will be required to depart Australia and complete course from overseas as an Off- Campus student or obtain some other visa with study rights. A campus transfer form to transfer from ‘CFON’ (On-campus) to ‘EFON’ (Off-Campus) will need to be submitted to Student Central.
- A CoE extension cannot be granted if you are not enrolled in the current active trimester. Your enrolment status must be enrolled or inactive in the current trimester due to supplementary exams or assessments at the time of COE approval.
- If your course status is discontinued please contact Deakin International Re-admission team at email@example.com to apply for a new CoE.
- Your new CoE end date will be: Your result release date will be the trimester result release of your special assessment examination date plus 2 weeks or your result release date for your special/supplementary assessment task, plus 2 weeks
- If your result release date is expected to be more than 6 months after you receive one of the above results, you will not be issued COE, you will be required to depart Australia. If you are eligible, please apply for an extension CoE online here
The University is only permitted to extend the duration of the student's study where it is clear that the student will not complete the course within the expected duration, as specified on the student's CoE, as a result of:
- Compassionate or compelling circumstances (for example in the case of illness where a medical certificate is evidence of the student's inability to attend classes for an extended period or where the course progression rules prevent a student from completing certain units because they may have failed a prerequisite unit);
- The University implementing its intervention strategy for students who are at risk of unsatisfactory academic progress; or
- An approved deferment or intermission of student has been granted.
Where a student has failed a unit and that failure will impact on the expected course duration, DSA will send a letter to the student advising them of the failure and how to seek assistance within the University. DSA will update Callista to indicate that an intervention has been put in place, in such circumstances, the student can be issued a new CoE.
If you have deliberately under-enrolled each trimester without Faculty approval and have not made up the time in T3, you may not be issued a new CoE. In the case that a new CoE can not be issued, you can transfer to off campus mode and complete your degree from your home country.COE’s are not extended to cover graduation periods – students can apply for another type of visa if their student visa doesn’t allow them to remain in Australia for graduation
Please read our full list of FAQs about your CoE for more information.