How do I apply for a Visa extension?
Undergraduate or Graduate coursework students
Obtain a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) using the online request form.
Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy until the expiry date of your new student visa. If you have OSHC provided by Bupa, contact them directly to extend your policy.
Prepare your supporting documentation. Use the Document Checklist Tool to check what documentation you need to attach to your application. This may include:
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- OSHC policy
- Statement to satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
- Evidence of financial capacity
Apply online to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You will be applying for a Student Visa subclass 500 visa.
You can submit an application yourself, or use a registered migration agent.
When should I renew my visa?
- You must hold a valid student visa while studying in Australia.
- You will need to renew your visa if:
- you cannot complete your course before the visa expiry date, or
- you have submitted your postgraduate research thesis, or
- you are going to commence a new course of study
- Apply to renew your student visa at least 6 to 8 weeks before it expires.
After you lodge your application
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will send you an acknowledgement letter along with a copy of a bridging visa (for applicants in Australia only).
While your application is being assessed you should:
- Check the Health Assessment tab in your ImmiAccount to see if health examinations are required.
- Check your nominated email account regularly for correspondence from DIBP regarding the status of your application.
You should be aware of the tuition fee refund policy
Please ask your ISA to explain this to you in further detail if you don’t understand it. If you need to submit a Refund of Fees in Special Circumstances application, please note that you must do so even if you haven’t paid (all) your fees yet. You risk being reported for non-payment of fees to DIBP if you have not applied for a remission of debt and this could have a negative effect on any future visa applications.