Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Change of visa status

The requirements for notifying a change in your visa status.

Student visa to permanent or temporary residence

If you change your visa from a student visa to another visa such as permanent or temporary residence (PR or TR), you are required to notify the University as soon as possible after the change so that we can complete our reporting requirements to the Government.

Change of visa status

If you change your visa from a student visa to PR or TR, please notify us by:

  • Scanning a copy of your new visa and your passport to di-q-and-c@deakin.edu.au. Alternatively, you can present your new visa document and passport to Student Central to forward to di-q-and-c@deakin.edu.au.
  • Your COE will be cancelled as you no longer hold a student visa and you will be notified about the cancellation of your CoE via email.
  • Your visa status will be verified and recorded and your visa status (and fee category, if required) will be updated.
    • Your visa status at Deakin will change to 'non student visa holder' if you have transferred to another temporary visa.
    • If you change to TR status you are still considered an international student for fee purposes.
    • If you have been granted a permanent visa, you will be notified of your fees category via email. Please also refer to the Low completion and Government assistance webpage to view the changes to the Commonwealth supported place, HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.

Temporary residence to student visa

There are rare occasions when a student needs to change their visa from a temporary resident (TR) visa to a student visa.

In that instance you will require a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to lodge a student visa application so, you must complete the online Student CoE form.

Student Central will then complete a course map with the expected completion date and forward this to International Admissions who will check that you meet the eligibility requirements of an international student visa holder and if so, will send a new CoE so that you can apply for your student visa.

Visa FAQs

View our frequently asked questions about student visas.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.