Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Visa FAQs

Information about what happens when you change your visa type.

Do I need to advise Deakin of any change of visa status?

Yes, you are required to advise us of any change of visa status. Ideally, this should be done within five working days of the date your visa status changes. You are required to provide a scanned copy of your new visa and passport to di-q-and-c@deakin.edu.au.

You can also can present your new visa document and passport to Student Central to forward on your behalf.

Am I considered a domestic student if I get temporary resident status?

No. Students who have temporary resident (TR) status are considered international students for fee purposes. However, if you get a TR visa, you will not be subject to the conditions of an international student visa.

Am I considered a domestic student if I get permanent resident status?

As a permanent resident (PR), you will be considered a domestic student. However, this does not mean that you will be eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place. For more information please refer to Commonwealth supported student page.

I am currently on a TR visa and need to apply for a student visa, what do I need to do?

You will require a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to lodge a student visa application.

  • Complete the online Student CoE form.
  • Student Central will then complete a course map with the expected completion date.
  • International Admissions will check that you meet the eligibility requirements of an international student visa holder and if so, you will be issued with a new CoE so that you can apply for your student visa.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.