Find copyright-free resources
Resources you can openly use
There are many sites where you can find free to use resources. These resources are in the public domain or openly licensed for free use. As a rule of thumb though, you are always allowed to use content that:
- you own the copyright in
- you can use under an exception in the Copyright Act
- is out of copyright or the creator has waived their rights
- you have permission to use (if your use is for University purposes, the Copyright Office can seek permission on your behalf)
- is licensed under an appropriate Creative Commons licence
- is licensed or permissible for your uses through the website terms and conditions
- is provided via hyperlink to the original source
Please note it is best practice to attribute all resources you use in your project.
Open Education Resources
Open Education Resources (OERs) are educational materials available for free use and adaption under an open sharing licence (eg. Creative Commons) or are free from copyright restrictions (i.e. the public domain) that can enrich the Deakin teaching and learning experience.
OERs can be textbooks, teaching and learning materials, images, videos, games, lesson plans, worksheets and assessments.
Openly licensed images
- Pixabay – photos, illustrations, vector graphics. Some videos.
- Freepik – photos, vector graphics
- Unsplash – high resolution photos
- Freerange – photos, illustations
- New York Public Library Digital Collections – photos, maps, illustrations, historical documents
- Wikimedia Commons Public Domain – photos and illustrations
- Stocksnap – high resolution photos
Openly licensed sound effects and music
- Sound Bible - Sound effects under a Creative Commons license and some in the Public Domain.
- Freesound - User uploaded sound effects.
- YouTube Audio Library - Read the terms and conditions before use. Requires Google account.
- Free-Loops - Loops and audio clips to produce music and soundtracks.
- Free Sound Effects - Sound effects for non-commercial use only.
- Free Music Archive - Creative Commons and public domain music
- Bensound - Free to use music. Read the licensing conditions first.