ACF702 - Television Commercial Production
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne)|
|Unit chair:||J Cumming|
ACF700 or ACM712
1 x 3 hour Seminar per week
Note:Online teaching methods require internet access. You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The television commercial (TVC) is a significant screen industry activity that is used to promote products, services ideas and brand identities. TVC producers draw upon ideas and techniques from all genres of film and television making and often seek to turn social values and trends to the benefit of their corporate clients. The unit aims to provide students with experience of design and production in this short format, within the discipline of client briefs and tight schedules. The practical skills and knowledge gained should enhance student's capacity to critically analyse television advertising and better understand its social, political and cultural function. Students will gain experience in pitching ideas and sharing research through individual and/or team presentations.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
▪ The TVC form and its sub-genres including social advocacy and community service announcements
▪ The structure of the television advertising industry, its client base, professions and creative teams
▪ Techniques of propaganda and persuasion in the short form
▪ The design and creation of multi-layer messages and meaning in audio-visual media
▪ Creating, and working creatively to, a tightly specified, research-based brief
▪ Writing, producing and directing short format film and video to a budget and a time-line
The production process: development, pre production, production, post production and delivery
Tests on prescribed reading 20%;
Research essay on an aspect of television commercial production (1500 words plus reference list) 30%
Major team TVC project. Team presentation of a folio of three versions of a television commercial of 15, 30 and 60 seconds duration. Assessment includes scheduled presentation of a concept pitch, script, storyboard, rough-cut, fine-cut and final-cut, peer evaluation, individual performance of one key production role and one supporting production role 50%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.