ASC321 - Sociology Internship
Trimester 1 and Trimester 2 Internship unit
|Work experience in industry:||This is a Work Experience in Industry (WEI) unit.|
|Unit chair:||V Marotta|
At least 6 credit points towards a sociology major. Preference given to students with ASC250/350 Social Research: an Introduction, plus approval from the unit chair.
Internship units are normally undertaken in third year (or equivalent) and enrolment is subject to completion of specified prerequisite units and special application requirements. Interested students should look at the Faculty Student Mobility website information (http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/internships/) and are strongly advised to complete the pre internship modules:https://d2l.deakin.edu.au/login.asp?target=/d2l/lms/legacy/selfregistration.d2l?ou=6605
Note: Online teaching methods require internet access. You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The Internship unit consists of a placement in a mutually arranged, supervised position where students will ideally undertake a project in the workplace and report on it both to the host organisation and the faculty supervisor. This is not a placement solely for experiential learning. The methodologies that need to be utilised in the project are dependent upon the type of placements.In this particular unit students will be expected to use one or more of the following research approaches:
- naturalistic research;
- content analysis;
- development and implementation of surveys;
- data collection and basic data analysis;
- field research;
- secondary analysis of data for reports or other tasks.
A written report of 5000 words consisting of five parts:
- engagement-profile on placement organisation 700 words 15%;
- research problem and detail of stages for completion of task(s) 500 words 10%;
- research methods employed-summary 1100 words 20%;
- findings-summary 2000 words 40%;
- evaluation of the placement 700 words 15%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.