- Study at Deakin
- Life at Deakin
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Unit chair:||B Doig|
Must be enrolled in course E760.
3 hours per week or equivalent
Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
Pre-service teachers will explore a range of effective teaching strategies and learning experiences to further infants', toddlers and young children’s mathematical understandings, such as concepts of number, space and measurement. Students will be introduced to appropriate strategies to assess young children’s mathematical thinking.
Topics to be covered in this unit include:
• research in children’s mathematical development
• assessment and planning for children’s mathematical learning
• introducing key mathematical concepts through developmentally appropriate learning activities
• knowledge of appropriate resources to build children’s understandings of mathematics
Task 1 50% Review of current research on children’s mathematical understandings and teaching strategies to help children develop key mathematical concepts (3000 words)
Task 2 50% Using the research, students will plan, teach and evaluate a sequence of appropriate mathematical activities using relevant resources based on children’s interests, for individual and whole groups in early childhood settings (3000 words)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.