ESS744 - Science: Curriculum Study
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
For students enrolled in course E760 only
|Unit chair:||P Hubber|
A sub-major sequence in one area of science or an approved equivalent.
EME213, EME444, ESS244, ESS444
1 x 3 hour weekly seminar
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
• Lesson planning in science;
• The nature of science and rationale for teaching it;
• Research into students’ understandings of science and implications for teaching science;
• Contemporary understandings about students’ learning of science;
• Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) structure as it relates to the teaching of science.
• The Nature of Science and implications for the teaching and learning of science – models and representations in science, and argumentation;
• Assessing the development of students’ understandings and skills in science;
• Teaching and learning strategies to support students’ understandings in science;
• Planning and management of practical science learning activities;
• Scientific literacy and literacies of science; and
• Applications of ICT in the science classroom.
Review and Presentation of a Teaching Resource 20%
Review and presentation of a teaching resource found in the science teaching journal literature. (1000 words)
Concept Mapping Task 20%
Construction of a concept map of a set of prescribed science education pedagogical terms.
Development of a Science Learning and Teaching Unit 60%
A full planning document that provides details of the teaching of a complete science topic taught in Years 7-10. (3000 words)
Venville, G. & Dawson, V. (Eds.)(2012). The Art of teaching Science: For middle and secondary school (2nd Ed). Crows Nest, Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.