Deakin's business courses are backed by high quality, contemporary research, developed in consultation with industry.
Our courses are designed with you in mind - we want to provide you with the skills needed to get the job you want! Deakin's range of business courses have been enhanced by a high level of practical content, which is both invaluable to graduates and viewed favourably by prospective employers.
Bachelor of Commerce, Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, 2012
Currently: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
"Commerce is a really diverse course and there are a lot of opportunities there it is not just based on accounting."
If a university degree was talked about in football terms, Shaun Chung-Buckland would have notched up several best and fairest awards and leading goal kicker
After beginning a Bachelor of Commerce at Deakin Waurn Ponds in 2010, Shaun was awarded a Gordon Council academic scholarship for outstanding academic achievement in the first year of study, plus best student in the subject Economic Principles. Later came two more individual subject awards and the Geoff Nielson prize for best commerce student commencing third year. He has now completed the 24 credit points of the degree with an outstanding 22 high distinctions and two distinctions.
Heading to Deakin's open day, he had no fixed idea on courses, he says, but he clearly has found his niche. "I looked at science, commerce and double degrees but both my parents are in the accounting/financial planning area so I think it's in the blood. I absolutely love it". Read my story.
What can I study?
Whatever aspect of business you want to study, there is an area of specialisation at Deakin to meet your needs. View all business courses at Deakin.
An honours program and combined course options are also available.
Why study business at Deakin?
Practical work experience and industry based learning
Most of our business undergraduate and postgraduate courses allow you to enrich your degree with an overseas study tour, study abroad, work integrated learning program, student exchange or a business internship.
These programs provide you with a realistic business experience and integrate your educational experiences with cultural and practical experiences enhancing employability.
Within the Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs, you can choose to undertake some units in the style of five-day intensive, live-in units as part of the Graduate School of Business Residentials.
Many scholarship opportunities
Deakin has many scholarship opportunities, including the Business Scholars program and First in Family grants.
Research and Teaching Excellence
Deakin University works in partnership with current staff, as well as members of relevant industries, to ensure that our students graduate with the most up to date knowledge and skills. Our lecturers and tutors are encouraged to continuously develop their skills, and are recognised for outstanding performance at the Deakin Teaching Awards.
Academics within the Faculty of Business and Law are continuously updating their knowledge according to changes in technology as well as following and forecasting the latest trends in their respective industries.
The Faculty of Business and Law aims for research excellence. Research should be relevant to commercial and business interests, and to the broader community. Research within the field of Business is wide and varied.
Find out more about Faculty of Business and Law research in areas such as: accounting, economics, finance / insurance, marketing, strategy and process management, human resource management / organisational behaviour.
Many of our courses allow graduates to satisfy the educational requirements for membership or associate membership of professional associations including:
- Australian Computer Society
- Financial Planning Association
- Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) Program of CPA Australia
- CA program of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA)
- National Institute of Accountants (NIA) Professional Accounting Program
- Economics Society of Australia
- Australian Marketing Institute.
Career opportunities for business graduates
Career opportunities for graduates include but are not limited to:
- business process analysis
- financial and information security
- web architecture, design
- event operations
- business analysis
- human resource management
- market research
- training and development
- tourism operations and planning
- private or government valuation
- property sales and acquisition
- sport management
- sponsorship management
- sport development.
Give yourself the competitive edge after graduation. Discover and live in a new country and make friends all around the world. With a Deakin Education Abroad program, your degree can take you where you want to go.
Exchange and Education Abroad programs are available to all students, including international, postgraduate and off-campus students.
- Learn more about our courses
- Undergraduate: Business course guide (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Your Decision careers guide(PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Postgraduate and research: Business and law study area booklet(PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Deakin's Graduate School of Business
- School of Accounting, Economics and Finance
- School of Information Systems
- School of Management and Marketing
View all business courses at Deakin. Courses include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- Bachelor of Information Systems
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Management
- Bachelor of Property and Real Estate
- Bachelor of Sport Management
Postgraduate studies by research
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Economics
Postgraduate studies by coursework
- Graduate Certificate of Arts and Entertainment Management
- Graduate Certificate of Business (Sport Management)
- Graduate Certificate of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Chartered Accounting Foundations
- Graduate Certificate of Commerce
- Graduate Certificate of Commercial Law
- Graduate Certificate of Corporate Management
- Graduate Certificate of Financial Planning
- Graduate Certificate of Human Resource Management
- Graduate Certificate of Information Systems
- Graduate Certificate of Insurance and Risk Management
- Graduate Certificate of International Business
- Graduate Certificate of International Finance
- Graduate Certificate of Leadership
- Graduate Certificate of Management (Personal Injury)
- Graduate Certificate of Marketing
- Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting
- Graduate Certificate of Retail Management
- Graduate Diploma of Accounting
- Graduate Diploma of Business Administration
- Graduate Diploma of Business Analytics
- Graduate Diploma of Commerce
- Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning
- Graduate Diploma of Human Resource Management
- Graduate Diploma of Information Systems
- Graduate Diploma of International Business
- Graduate Diploma of International Finance
- Graduate Diploma of Leadership
- Graduate Diploma of Management
- Graduate Diploma of Professional Accounting
- Graduate Diploma of Property
- Master of Arts and Entertainment Management
- Master of Business (Sport Management)
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Commercial Law
- Master of Financial Planning
- Master of Health and Human Services Management
- Master of Human Resource Management
- Master of Information Systems
- Master of Insurance and Risk Management
- Master of International Business
- Master of International Finance
- Master of Leadership
- Master of Management (Personal Injury)
- Master of Marketing
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Psychology (Industrial and Organisational)
- Doctor of Business Administration