ESS741 - Science and Environmental Sustainability: Curriculum Study (Years 7-10)
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
(For students enrolled in course E760 only)
|Unit chair:||P White|
A sub major sequence in a science
Campus: 1 x 1 hour Class per week for 9 weeks, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week for 9weeks, Students will be required to complete a 15 day teaching practicum.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
The unit aims to lead students to a deeper understanding and appreciation of different approaches to the learning and teaching of education for sustainability, including its relation to socio-scientific issues and environmental education, to lower secondary level years 7 to 10 across a range of curriculum areas and as a whole school approach.
- The nature and purposes of education for sustainability and its relation to socio-scientific issues and environmental education
- Locating opportunities for learning and teaching through education for sustainability in the Australian National Curriculum
- Approaches to learning and teaching through education for sustainability
- Assessment for and of learning through education for sustainability
- Learning and teaching resources for education for sustainability.
Design a lower secondary (years 7 to 10) program in education of sustainability, socio-scientific issues, and/or environmental education across a range of curriculum areas and/or as a whole school approach. (Individual) 3000 words or equivalent, 60%.
Design a resource (share it via presentation) to support an aspect of student learning from the assessment 1 program, include a description (with task details) of how to assess for and of learning. (Group) 2000 words per person or equivalent, 40%
- Venville, G. & Dawson, V. (Eds.)(2012). The Art of teaching Science: For middle and secondary school (2nd Ed). Crows Nest, Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- See weekly reading program in CloudDeakin
- Academic articles and chapters
- The Australian National Curriculum http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development – Programs and Initiatives – Building and Infrastructure http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/infrastructure/Pages/default.aspx
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.