Borrowing from Deakin
Loan limits and types
How many items can I borrow?
Deakin University undergraduates, Deakin College students and DUELI students can borrow 50 items.
Deakin staff, Master’s and PhD students can borrow 100 items.
Community members including CAVAL, ULANZ and Alumni can borrow 10 items.
How long can I borrow for?
|Borrower||Loan period||Maximum renewals|
|Deakin students and staff||30 days||12|
|Community members||30 days||2|
Items (except 2 hour loans) are automatically renewed two days prior to the due date unless:
- the item is requested by another user
- you have reached the maximum number of renewals (refer to tables)
To find out when your book is due, login to My account.
Deakin students and staff can keep their eligible borrowed items for up to a year, and community members for up to 12 weeks, providing no other user requests them.
Short term loans, including prescribed and recommended texts
Short term loan periods vary from 2 hours, 7 days, or 15 days (if you are eligible), and except for the 2 hour loans, will be automatically renewed up to 23 times if no one else has placed a request for it.
These loans are shorter than the general loans because they are:
- in high demand by a lot of students (especially items such as prescribed and recommended texts)
- very expensive to purchase on our limited budget
- no longer printed/made available so difficult to replace
How to borrow
Using the Deakin Borrow app
Using this app, you can scan and check out library items right from the shelf, manage or renew your loans, and check the status of your requests.
- Download the app from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store by searching for "Deakin Borrow".
- Enter your library barcode number to login.
- Borrow a book by scanning the barcode on the book.
E-books do not count toward your borrowing and holds. Learn how to search for your item in Library Search, then access the e-book online.
How to request
If your item is not at your campus, or is unavailable:
- Click on the 'Request it' button.
- Using the dropdown menu, select 'Click and collect' at your preferred campus.
- You will receive an email confirming your request.
- We'll email again once your item is available on the click and collect shelf at the campus library you selected.
Note: For item requests from another campus, allow 1-3 weekdays for transit, from available date.
You may be able to borrow from other libraries if we don't have what you're looking for.
Request a photocopy
You can also request a scan or photocopy of a journal article or a book chapter from our print collections.
How to return books
Return your book to any of our campus libraries:
- at the Service Desk
- through the return chute (near the Service Desk or near the entrances to libraries/campuses)
- via the prepaid postal bag (supplied with your delivery)
- by airmail (overseas students), please send your receipt for reimbursement separately
Make sure you return your item on time. This helps to avoid problems with your library account, and allows others users to access our resources.
We are currently mailing books to all domestic students and staff at no cost. Contact library staff to discuss further.
If you are a student living overseas, contact your librarian for help sourcing the items you need.
Get an item delivered
- Select button from your search result.
- Choose 'Click and send' from the dropdown menu.
Note: 2 hour loans cannot be delivered because of the time taken to deliver items.
Return your book by post
Return your item to:
Library Delivery Service
Deakin University Library
Locked bag 20000
Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3220
You will receive a prepaid postal bag with your delivery.
Please allow 4 business days for return delivery to us.
Simply airmail your item to the return address above.
Return postage will be at your own expense, though you can apply for reimbursement of the postage fee (not custom fee) by sending a copy of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the address above.
Your receipt should contain the cost of postage in the local currency and our delivery address.
Reimbursements can be:
- deposited into an Australian bank account
- sent as an overseas draft
- transferred to your overseas bank account ($10 fee)
We do not reimburse customs duty fees.