Vice-Chancellor Professor Iain Martin reappointed for a further term
The Deakin University Council has approved the reappointment of Vice-Chancellor Professor Iain Martin for a further five-year term from May 2024.
In announcing the news to the University community, Deakin Chancellor Mr John Stanhope AM said Council was delighted to reappoint Professor Martin as Vice-Chancellor.
“The University Council is very pleased that Professor Martin will continue to lead the implementation of our strategic plan Deakin 2030: Ideas to Impact,” Mr Stanhope said.
“Iain commenced as Vice-Chancellor in 2019 and has led Deakin ably through the challenges of the pandemic with the support of his Executive team and our exceptional staff.
“As Deakin approaches its 50th anniversary in 2024, the University Council is confident Iain’s leadership will acknowledge our rich history and set us up for future success as Australia’s most progressive university.
“We look forward to seeing what Deakin will achieve under Iain’s continued leadership in the years ahead.”
Professor Martin said he was honoured to continue to serve as Deakin’s Vice-Chancellor.
“I thank our University Council for their confidence in my leadership and acknowledge that so much of what has been achieved is the result of the efforts of many across our University,” he said.
“As we approach our 50th anniversary at the end of 2024, it is a privilege to lead a University that is driving a culture of innovation, creativity and excellence while remaining true to its founding values of inclusion and access to education.
“I am excited about continuing to work with the Deakin community to deliver on our strategic plan, Ideas to Impact, and in doing so, ensuring an outstanding student experience and research that makes a real difference to our communities.”
Professor Martin’s contract will remain identical to the current arrangements, with no changes in terms or remuneration.
Highlights for Deakin under Professor Martin’s tenure include:
- Becoming the first university in the world to establish an international campus in India;
- Being announced as a Trailblazer University to deliver the Deakin University Recycling and Clean Energy Commercialisation Hub (REACH);
- A significant uplift in research income and impact to drive social progress;
- The implementation of the Deakin Reimagined program to underpin Deakin’s recovery from the pandemic;
- Deakin is number one in Victoria for Overall Student Satisfaction and has been for 13 years, and one of the top universities in Australia on this measure;
- The establishment of the Deakin Indigenous Strategy 2023-2028 as a central university-wide strategy; and
- Founding of the Damion Drapac Centre to advance socially inclusive medical education.
+61 3 924 68221
0428 597 468