Who Needs the Humanities? The Value of Research in the Humanities
31 July 2019
5.00pm to 7.00 pm
Clemenger Auditorium, NGV International
Engage with our panellists as they argue for the value of research in the Humanities in economic, social, cultural and other terms.
The Forum will be opened by Prof Aaron Russell (Pro Vice-Chancellor, Researcher Development and Integrity, Deakin University) and moderated by Dr Sean Bowden (Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, Deakin University).
The speakers are:
- Prof Joy Damousi, Professor of History at the University of Melbourne and current President of the Australian Academy of the Humanities.
- Prof David Lowe, Alfred Deakin Professor and Chair in Contemporary History, Deakin University.
- Prof Robert Stern, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Sheffield and current President of the British Philosophical Association.
- Dr Miriam Bankovsky, Senior Lecturer in Politics and Director of the Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics, La Trobe University.
- Dr Emily Potter, Senior Lecturer in Literary Studies and Associate Head of School (Research) in the School of Communication and Creative Arts, Deakin University.
Date and time
Wednesday 31 July 2019
5.00 pm - 7.00 pm
Clemenger Auditorium, NGV International (North Entrance)
180 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne Melbourne, Victoria
Note that the entrance to the Clemenger Auditorium is through the NGV’s North Entrance, via the Arts Centre Melbourne forecourt.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences