Working in Australia

As an international student at Deakin, you can work part time when your course is in session. We can even help to find a job that suits you – whether you’d like some extra income, or if you’re keen to get some work experience related to your degree.

Work and your visa

If you’re on a student visa you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight in a trimester when your course is in session.

During trimester breaks and holidays, you can work as much as you want. Trimester 3 isn’t compulsory for most courses, so if you’re not enrolled in any units, you can work unlimited hours then too.

If Trimester 3 is compulsory for your course, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the trimester.

Finding work

Deakin's online jobs database is a good place to start to help you find work. Our online careers tools and resources will help increase your chances of finding part-time work while studying.

Visit our online jobs database

Your rights at work

Everyone who works in Australia, including international students, is protected by a set of workers’ rights. For example, it’s illegal for a potential employer to ask you to work for free as a trial. Other rights include getting formal pay slips, working in safe conditions, and being comfortable at your workplace.

Find out more about your rights at work

Learn about minimum wages in Australia

Work experience

Get some professional experience with our international student internship program. You’ll get to work with a local organisation while adding skills and achievements to your résumé.

We’re not the only ones who are proud of this program – it recently won a Victorian Government award for Excellence in International Student Employability and Career Development.

Working after you finish your degree

Once you finish your studies at Deakin, you might be able to stay in Australia and work with a post-study work visa. You can apply for this visa if you:

  • applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011
  • have completed an eligible qualification from an Australian educational institution.

Eligible qualifications are:

  • a bachelor’s degree
  • a bachelor’s degree with honours
  • a master’s by coursework degree
  • a master’s (extended) degree
  • a master’s by research degree
  • a doctoral degree.

You must also meet the two-year study requirement.

Find out more about post-study work visas