- 100% of our research is rated at or above world-class (Excellence in Research for Australia 2019).
- We're in the top 1% in global rankings (according to major international university rankings ARWU.
- We're the leader in graduate satisfaction in Victoria for the eleventh consecutive year (in the Australian Graduate Survey (2010–15) and QILT survey (2016–2020).
- Five of our researchers were included in the 2015 Thomson Reuters annual listing of researchers most cited in academic journals, ranked in the top 1% of researchers in their field.
Innovative research facilities
Our extensive research capabilities attract millions of dollars in grants and foster strategic national and international partnerships in key research facilities, including:
- Deakin Engineering Precinct – digital manufacturing, rapid prototyping, 3D modelling and visualisation technologies
- The Deakin Regional Community Health Hub (REACH) – connecting health students and practitioners in rural and regional Victoria
- The Geelong Technology Precinct – focussing on Deakin's core research capabilities in materials, biotechnology, chemistry, environmental engineering, manufacturing and agri-processing
- The Australian Future Fibres Research and Innovation Centre (AFFRIC) – home to the Carbon Nexus, an international centre of excellence for fibre science, materials and manufacturing research
- Deakin Motion.Lab – intersecting research, art and technology to deliver innovative solutions
- 'Yolla' – a purpose-built research vessel providing marine biologists with the world's most advanced multi-beam sonar systems.
Supervisors who are global leaders
Deakin research supervisors are respected and recognised leaders in their fields. As research specialists, they are passionate about supporting and mentoring their students.
They dedicate time and expertise to ensure that each student’s Deakin experience is rewarding and fulfilling.
Join a research community from 50+ countries
Deakin offers access to a globally-recognised research network. Collaborate with research partners nationally and internationally and present at prestigious conferences.
As one of the best and brightest in your field, you’ll form lifelong relationships with colleagues around the world.
Many research areas to choose from
Deakin's research expands across diverse portfolios, including:
- advanced materials
- built environment
- chronic illness and ageing
- citizenship and globalisation
- education and the arts
- intelligent systems
- natural resource management
- physical activity and nutrition
- social and mental health.
Make a difference to local and global challenges
Research teams at Deakin are changing lives with their projects, including:
- inventing super-absorbent nanosheets to prevent future oil spill disasters
- using accounting skills to re-empower Indigenous communities
- discovering a group of molecules that target and kill TB bacteria
- developing manufacturing processes that reduce cost and carbon emissions in the automotive industry
- rethinking public spaces in the battle against racism
- teaching robots to respond to music and human movement.
Flexible study options
Deakin research degree students enjoy flexible study options, including the ability to work off-campus and/or undertake part-time study.
Deakin has research degree students living in other states and overseas. We bring students together with peers and supervisors, regardless of location.
Deakin offers a wide range of research scholarships that recognise your hard work and achievements. Please see individual scholarship pages for benefits, conditions for further information.
Graduate Research Academy
The Deakin Graduate Research Academy provides opportunities for research degree students and researchers at all levels. It expands their skill sets and supports their continuing professional development.
For students, the PhD Xtra program and the GRA offers:
- an opportunity to complete a tailored higher degree by research
- Individual Learning Plans with accredited research training and additional program content. This leads to enhanced learning experiences
- career pathway placements.
For prospective academic staff researchers, it offers:
- training and certification that leads to successful supervision
- professional development with improved career prospects.
For Deakin's research partners, it offers:
- confidence in professionals who are focused on being at the cutting edge of innovation.
- an assurance that in taking on a PhD Xtra student, there's commitment to the research partner as well as the student learning experience.
Resources for research degree students
We provide on campus students with all the resources they’ll need to undertake their research project including:
- dedicated office space with 24/7 access
- office facilities – copier, printer, mail, stationery
- PC and software
- data storage equivalent to staff
- internet and email access
- software and library privileges equivalent to staff.
Opportunities to travel
Deakin encourages you to attend and present at conferences both nationally and internationally. The university provides funding to support travel for other research-related activities.
In addition, the Neil Archbold Memorial Travel Award and Medal gives two candidates with the best-refereed journal papers travel funding each year.
Be supported throughout your experience
From induction workshops to presentation training, Deakin offers academic support throughout your higher degree. There are networking opportunities, assistance with completing a thesis and sessions on preparing for life after completion.
Deakin's library has dedicated higher degree liaison librarians for finding specialised materials relevant to your project.
Develop skills for life
You'll will grow your capacity to relate your research to the broader framework of knowledge in your area, master the ability to tackle any problem with competence and become a custodian of your discipline.
PhD Xtra allows you to take control of your study by developing and individual learning program tailored to your needs. You can develop transferrable skills through training opportunities, expert guidance, critical feedback and practical experience.