We’re proudly ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide
At Deakin, you’ll work alongside the world's best researchers, with unique access to facilities and equipment no other university can offer, and develop the expertise you need to make your mark in your chosen field.
I found a place and people that have since inspired and supported me in every way. Studying at Deakin is probably the best decision I’ve ever made.
Dr Christina Zorbas
PhD in public health nutrition
Study a research degree to boost your career prospects
From working in leading organisations to developing practical research skills, we have the research degrees that will help set you up for success.
At Deakin we offer two main types of research degrees, as well as a joint PhD program.
Masters by Research
- 1-2 years full-time
- A pathway to a PhD
- Make an original contribution to knowledge
- Written thesis
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- 3 years full-time
- Make an original, significant contribution to knowledge in your chosen discipline
- Supervised research project
- Written thesis
Cotutelle PhD - one PhD across two universities
- A PhD that you undertake across two universities in two different countries
- Two testamurs from each university
- Double the supervision, facilities, resources and funding opportunities
- Cotutelle Doctor of Philosophy
Here’s 11 smart reasons to choose a research degree with Deakin
- We’re ranked #1 in the world (or top 1%) for several disciplines, so you can be certain you’ll work alongside world-leading researchers.
- With hundreds of research scholarships available, our recipients will enjoy a fee-free tuition, receive an above university average $33,500 per annum stipend (tax exempt) and a $5000 travel allowance.
- We’re home to four faculties, 14 schools, seven research institutes and seven strategic research and innovation centres. This includes the #1 sports science school in the world. This means you'll have unique access to facilities and equipment no other university can offer.
- We’re Australia’s #1 university for educational experience, so you can be confident that we’re committed to your professional success.
- You’ll get to work within our thriving global network of 6500+ students and more than 500 leading organisations across 65 countries to help you plan, test and prove your bright ideas, whether it’s at the world’s most advanced carbon fibre and composite research facility or Australia’s most advanced marine laboratory.
- We’re among the top 1% for arts and humanities research globally, as well as #1 in Australia for education and education research, so our PhD grads are set up for an applied creative career.
- At Australia’s #1 university for equity held in start-up and spin-out companies, our research degree candidates can turn their research idea into a practical solution.
- You’ll develop your critical professional skills valued by every employer at a university ranked in the top 50 young universities.
- We’re among the top 20 universities in Australia for academic reputation and citations per faculty, so we understand what it takes break new ground in your chosen field.
- We’re ranked #20 for nursing globally. That’s why we understand the problems healthcare workers are confronting in their clinical practice.
- Our graduates work in the organisations you want to, from the World Health Organisation, to CSRIO, to Ford. We understand how a PhD can take you beyond academia.
Be supported to undertake impactful research
Making your mark isn’t always easy—but easy never changed anything. That’s why at Deakin we deliver best-in-class support for our research candidates.
From an above university average $33,500 per annum stipend to industry work placements and receiving assistance with grant applications, funding and networking, we will support you every step of the way.
How Deakin’s PhD candidates and alumna are transforming their fields
Uncovering an environmentally solution for carbon fibre waste
Making a difference with biomedical engineering
Driven by a passion for biomedical engineering, Dr Kashyap reveals how her PhD helped make difference in people’s lives through wearable technology.
Driving positive impact for women’s football
PhD candidate Olivia shares how the skills she’s learning in sports science will help make an impact as women’s football grows.
Exploring humanity through cinema
With the support of a full scholarship, Oscar’s PhD explores how cinema is able to shine a light on the fundamental essences of the human condition.
Ready to get started?
Whether you want to break new ground, develop your critical professional skills or work with the best researchers in the world, you'll solve problems no one else can with a Deakin research degree.
The most rewarding part for me was seeing Felicity [my PhD candidate] transition to a non-academic position she had identified many years earlier as her dream job. As a supervisor there is nothing better than that.
Professor of Psychology
Are you certain you’ll be working with the best researchers in the world for your PhD?
At Deakin, you'll benefit from our experts and their established networks and connections, and develop unrivalled expertise with the support of colleagues who are committed to seeing you succeed.
Did you know you’re eligible to receive a tax-free scholarship to complete your impactful PhD research at Deakin?
Check your eligibility, find out how to apply and discover top tips for creating a strong scholarship application.
Looking to study alongside globally leading researchers in your field? We’re keen to hear from you today.
Domestic candidature enquiries
Domestic scholarship enquiries
International candidature and
+61 3 5227 2673
Email Deakin Research