Status: DECRA 2025
|Applicant to contact faculty/institute Research office to check their nomination process. Faculty/Institute to send Nomination Forms and list of any re-submissions to Deakin research grants.||M||9am Tuesday 26th September 2023 (due at Research Office)|
Email Deakin Research Grants
|DE25 scheme opens in RMS||n/a|
|Thursday 12th October 2023|
|Supported applicants contact Deakin Research Office to arrange an external review of their proposal||O||Email Tracey McInerney firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Final application submitted to Research Office via RMS||M|
(from) Thursday 9th November 2023
C2 statement due at Research Office
|Request Not to Assess||O|
New process - Submit to the Research office Via RMS. Further instructions will be sent to all applicants closer to the submission date.
(due at Research Office)
O - Optional / M - Mandatory
Overview - based on Discovery Fellowships Grant Guidelines 2023 edition
A scheme for early career researchers (ECRs), which forms a part of the ARC's Discovery program. The objectives of the DECRA grant opportunity are to:
- support outstanding early-career researchers with demonstrated capacity for high-quality research and emerging capability for leadership and supervision;
- foster collaboration, with national or international researchers;
- support excellent and innovative research that addresses a significant problem or gap in knowledge and represents value for money;
- create new or advanced knowledge resulting from the outcomes of the research with economic, commercial, environmental, social and/or cultural benefits for Australia; and
- advance promising early career researchers and promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways in high-quality and supportive environments.
DECRAs will be awarded funding in 2025 for a period of up to 3 years on a full time-basis. A researcher may only apply for up to 2 DECRAs over the period in which they are eligible.
DE25 is open to applicants who have been awarded a PhD on or after 1 March 2019, or have an award of PhD date together with an allowable period of career interruptions that would be commensurate with an award of PhD date on, or after 1 March 2019. The allowable career interruptions set out and the period allowed for each are in Table 8 of the Discovery Fellowships Grant Guidelines 2023 edition.
ARC funding :
Up to a maximum of $162,897 per year of funding. Per annum salary contribution from the ARC is fixed at $112,897 (inc. 30% on costs) and up to a maximum of $50,000 for project costs per year.
PhD stipend rates:
- ARC - $29,880 pa
- Deakin - $33,500 pa
How to apply
- Read the Grant Guidelines, Instructions to Applicants and FAQs
- Liaise with your mentor and complete the Nomination Form
- Forward the Nomination Form to your Host Head of School or Department / SRIC or Institute Director AND your Host Faculty Associate Dean (Research) or Director of IFM/IISRI/A2I2/ADI
Faculty / IFM / IISRI/ A2I2 / ADI to send supported Nomination Forms to DR Grants by 9am Tuesday 26th September 2023
- Applicants will receive further information on the next steps in the process from DR Grants
- Contact the Deakin Library team via this form to assist with Research Metrics.
- Applicants to commence application in the ARC Research Management System – RMS. DE25 will open in RMS on Thursday 12th October 2023
- Use the Deakin University templates provided below and liaise with the DR-Grants ARC team as necessary
- Complete submission of your application via RMS to the Research Office for compliance checking by the date selected via Eventbrite booking (compliance checking commencing from Thursday 9th November 2023)
Documents and information
The ARC will no longer publish scheme specific documents on its website, but will make these available through GrantConnect. Links to scheme specific documents can be found below.
Policies and Strategies can still be found on the ARC website.
- Research Opportunity and Performance Evidence (ROPE) Statement
- ARC Medical Research Policy, FAQs and examples
- ARC Research Integrity and Research Misconduct Policy
- ARC Open Access Policy for publications arising from ARC funded projects.
- ARC Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Policy
- National Principles of Intellectual Property Management for Publicly Funded Research
- ARC’s Policy on Use of Generative Artificial Intelligence in the ARC’s grants programs
Templates, forms and tools
- Template D2 - Project Description
- Template D3 - Statement by the Administering Organisation
- Template E2 - Justification of non-salary funding from the ARC
- Template E3 - Details of Non-ARC Contributions
- Template F6 - Research Load - non ARC Grants
- Template F17 - ROPE Academic Career
Templates, certification forms and other resources are available below, or will be made available as relevant information is released by the ARC.
- Deakin Library Research Metrics Request Form
- Compliance Checklist
- Guidance sheet for D3 Statement by the Administering Organisation
- Budget and Justification Guide
- General Guidance sheet for completing ARC Project Budgets
- Eligibility Exemption Request - please email Deakin Research Grants if you need to discuss your eligibility.
- Deakin University Salary Calculator
- Form to access library of successful DECRA applications