Get to know Deakin

Universities are huge organisations, with complex structures and terminology unique to the education sector. Get to know Deakin a little better by learning how its parts fit together, and find out more about important University dates and information.

Deakin quick facts

  • Deakin is a five-star university according to the prestigious ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). This indicates that Deakin is world-class in a broad range of areas, has cutting-edge facilities and is internationally renowned for its research and teaching. 
  • Deakin University was established in 1974, and was Victoria's fourth university and the first in regional Victoria. 
  • In 2014 Deakin celebrated its 40th anniversary.
  • Deakin has been strengthened by a series of successful mergers with strong partners, each of whom has contributed significantly to our character and approach.
  • Today, Deakin operates in a global, connected world with the digital economy influencing every aspect of our activities.

Frequently asked questions

Is there a gym on campus?

Yes, we have a variety of facilities across our campuses, including gyms, fitness classes, basketball courts and sports ovals with pavilions.

Learn more about Deakin's health and fitness options

When am I eligible for training courses?

No specific time period. Speak to your manager regarding the appropriateness of any particular course. Internal staff development provided by Deakin is available on the Staff Development hub.

Learn more about staff training and development

Is there a staff mentoring program?

How do I get access to the library?

Once you've got your Deakin card, you can borrow things from the Deakin library.

Learn more about borrowing from Deakin's library

Deakin's leadership

University Council

Deakin has the University Council as its governing authority. The Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Iain Martin, along with the Academic Board report to Council.

The University Executive is the University’s primary management decision-making body and is led by the Vice-Chancellor and President.

Learn more about the University Executive

Explore the University's organisational chart

Senior management group

The Senior Management Group (SMG) was established in December 2013.

Its key function is to serve as a channel for consultation on and communication of Executive decisions and to canvas opinions on some matters prior to their determination by the Executive.

Learn more about the SMG

Useful terms in higher education

No matter which category of staff you are, if you're new to higher education or academia you’ll need to understand the sector you're now a part of. Like any industry, you’ll come across terms that may be new to you.

The 'higher education sector'

There's no simple definition of the term 'higher education', but technically it's seen as post-secondary, or third-level (tertiary) education. Usually delivered at universities, academies, colleges, seminaries and institutes of technology.


The environment of community concerned with the pursuit of research, education, and scholarship


Higher Education Worker, which relates to the pay structure for professional staff. Academic staff have a similar structure, but they range from academic levels A to E. Research fellows range from Grade 1 to 3.


Universities receive funding from State and Federal governments, industry and, of course, student revenue.

Department of Education

The main Federal Government organisation that determines policy and procedure for the sector.


The Australian Higher Education Industrial Association is an employer association responsible for protecting the industrial relations interests of organisations operating in the sector.


National Tertiary Education Union is the specialist union that offers services only to workers within the tertiary education sector.


Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency is Australia’s independent regulator of the higher education sector assures quality with the aim to ensure students receive a high quality education.


The Australian Research Council is a statutory authority with the Federal Government’s Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (IISR) portfolio. Its mission is to deliver policy and programmes that advance Australian research and innovation globally and benefit the community.


The National Health and Medical Research Council is Australia’s leading expert body promoting the development and maintenance of public and individual health standards. The NHMRC is the most prominent provider of medical research grants.


The Excellence in Research for Australia initiative assesses research quality with Australia’s higher education institutions. It uses a combination of indicators and expert review by committees comprising experienced, internationally recognised experts. 

ERA identifies and promotes excellence across the full spectrum of research activity in Australia’s higher education institutions.

Deakin's structure

The University’s academic structure comprises four faculties, a number of institutes, research institutes and strategic research centres along with a number of administrative divisions. 

Each faculty has a number of related schools that belong to it. Find out more about the faculties and schools:

Institute of Koorie Education

The Institute's community-based learning model provides a holistic approach to education. Community-based learning involves a combination of both on-and off-campus teaching, designed to enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to study without being removed from their communities for substantial periods of time.

Learn more about the Institute


Deakin conducts world-leading research at a number of strategic research centres and research institutes. 

Learn more about Deakin's research centres and institutes

Administrative divisions

Deakin's administrative divisions range hugely in size and function, from IT support and human resources to ensuring campus facilities are maintained and research progresses smoothly. 

Learn more about Deakin's administrative divisions

What else should you know?

University study periods

Deakin has a number of different study periods. Most courses are offered through our trimester study system.

Find out more about the University's study periods

Public and University holidays

The University will recognise the following public holidays as University holidays: New Year's Day, Australia Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Easter Tuesday, Anzac Day (where this falls on a week day), the Friday before AFL Grand Final (where gazetted by the Victorian Government), Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

In addition to this, the University closes for five working days over the Christmas period. Labour Day, Queen's Birthday and Melbourne Cup Day are standard work days where the University remains open.

Find out more about the University's holiday dates

Health, wellbeing and safety

All staff should be aware of the range of services Deakin offers to help students and staff stay healthy and safe – physically, mentally and spiritually. 

Health and wellbeing services include child care, counselling, disability support, equity and diversity, multifaith chaplains, medical centres, a smoke-free environment and sport and recreations programs and options.

Occupational health and safety at Deakin ensures you have a safe work environment and advises you of your requirements in the case of emergency or crisis. Any safety issues such as actual incident, a near miss or hazard you observe in your work area should be reported to your manager/supervisor. Anything observed as having the the potential to harm people should initially be addressed locally.

Learn more about health and wellbeing at Deakin

Emergency phone numbers

Ambulance, Fire or Police: 000 (dial 0 first if on campus)

Security (Deakin): Dial 222 (from a campus phone) or 1800 062 579

Poison: 13 11 26

Learn to speak 'Deakin'

Whenever you commence a new role you need to understand what your colleagues are talking about. There are very specific and local terms used in Deakin and in universities and tertiary education as a whole.

Read our glossary for specific Deakin terminology

I am a new...

As well as all the information provided above, there's specific information that may be relevant to different types of staff at Deakin.

Academic member of staff

Whether you're a new academic staff member at Deakin, or a Deakin staff member who is  new to academia, there is information available to assist you in performing your duties. When in doubt, your academic supervisor will be able to help you with:

  • Staff development. This is available for all staff with many internal courses and seminars accessible through the staff development hub. You'll also have access to, which is an online video library of engaging, high-quality courses taught by recognised industry experts.
  • Graduate Certificate of Higher Education and Learning and Teaching (GCHELT). This is suitable for all academics teaching undergraduate or postgraduate students, those in research supervision, as well as leaders and managers of higher education. The one year part-time course is only offered in Cloud (online) mode and completion of the GCHELT may be a condition of your probation.
  • Student complaints. There's a formal process to follow within the University. Your academic supervisor will guide you through this, but there is some general information online.
  • Marking guidelines. Each faculty has specific marking guidelines so ensure you become aware with them. Ask your academic supervisor for further information.
  • Depositing research in Deakin Research Online. Deakin Research Online (DRO) is Deakin's research repository. It describes and preserves the research output produced by Deakin University researchers, staff and higher degree research students.
  • Obtaining an ORCID ID number. Your ORCID ID is your unique researcher number that works as a persistent digital ID, distinguishing you from other researchers. You can register to obtain an ORCID ID.
  • Library liaison officers. Liaison officers can provide you an overview of library services and assist you in finding resources for your subject.
  • Academic promotion. The annual process providing academic staff with the opportunity to determine if they are ready for promotion and to then establish a case for promotion. The formal process considers your achievements in Research and Scholarship, Learning and Teaching, and Service.
    Learn more about academic promotion
  • Academic Study program. As part of Deakin's research development offerings, opportunities may be provided to academic staff to engage in the Academic Study Program (ASP – formerly known as Academic Study Leave or ASL). ASP is a form of paid professional development designed to support academic staff to work with local and internationally renowned academics, professionals and industry leaders from other institutions.
  • Division of Student Life (DSL). DSL has services available to assist students that can also be of benefit to academic staff. The services are varied, and include academic and peer support, course advice, enrolment assistance, study support, multifaith chaplains, childcare, counselling, health and wellbeing services, international student support, medical centres, orientation and induction, social and cultural engagement, sport and recreation facilities, and students helping students.

Casual staff member

Casual pay rates vary dependent on the activity performed. Descriptors of those activities are available in the Deakin University Enterprise Agreement 2017 (PDF, 6.79MB).

  • Timesheets must be completed through DeakinPeople (staff login required).
  • Conflict of interest and intellectual property. In accepting your casual engagement and completing the Casual Engagement Form you have acknowledged any actual, potential or perceived conflict of interest. You have also acknowledged the provisions of all Deakin’s policies and procedures and adherence to privacy and intellectual property.
  • Performance appraisal process for casuals. If you re engaged as a casual for less than 12 months you are not required to participate in the Performance Planning and Review (PPR) process.

Manager or supervisor

As a manager or supervisor, you have certain responsibilities in regard to the staff who report to you, so the following information may be useful to you.

  • Conducting the DeakinAchieve performance planning and review process. Information on this process is one of the many Deakin staff development courses and seminars available to you on the staff development hub.
  • Flexible work arrangements. For a variety of reasons, your staff may be seeking flexible working arrangements. This could be short or long term. For further enquiries or clarification, contact your Human Resources Adviser.
  • Health, wellbeing and safety responsibilities. As a manager or supervisor, you should ensure your staff are aware of how first aid and emergency medical assistance can be accessed. Encourage them to take advantage of the sporting facilities, fitness and wellbeing programs on offer. Be aware of security issues, particularly with staff working long and late hours. Campus Security is available by calling 222.  
    Learn more about health and wellbeing at Deakin
  • Relevant policies and procedures to assist you with your role are best sourced through the Deakin Policy Library, an alphabetical master list of all policies and procedures applicable to Deakin University.

International staff member

As a new staff member of Deakin University and also a first-time worker in Australia, the University will do what it can to make this huge move in your life as seamless as possible.

If you’re already in Australia then you’ve probably already sourced much of this information, but if not, we may be able to help you with:

  • Immigration and visa information. This can be quite specific, detailed and confusing as peoples’ situations vary. Learn more about visas, costs and residency.
  • Relocating and Relocation Support. At Deakin we can assist you with financial relocation support, assistance with moving your pet and also engage a removal and personnel service broker if required.

Off-site or offshore staff member

As an off-site or offshore staff member of the University, you may be eligible to additional entitlements if you're living away from home. If interstate or overseas, you'd also be required to observe the local public and national holidays. Any additional entitlements should be discussed with your work area.

  • Induction and online compliance module. Completion of these is still a requirement as they can be completed online. You can access the modules through DeakinSync.
  • Relevant policies and procedures to assist you with your role are best sourced through the Deakin Policy Library, an alphabetical master list of all policies and procedures applicable to Deakin University.
  • Deakin University Library. You can still gain access to the library and its resources while off-site. Depending on your specific needs, go to the Library’s website or email them. It's even possible to borrow books or journals as long as you have a staff Deakin Card; arrangements can easily be made to mail loans to you.
  • Deakin Anywhere. You can connect, share and collaborate anywhere you are, at any time, on any device. With Skype for Business you can communicate by using your computer or mobile device to instant message, video chat, schedule online video meetings, and share screens. OneDrive gives you the advantage of having unlimited storage on the cloud. SharePoint is a public-facing online collaboration workspace for groups of Deakin staff and students.
  • CloudDeakin (accessible through DeakinSync) is the University’s learning environment. It's predominantly for student use but may be of use to staff as required.
  • DeakinPeople (accessible through DeakinSync) is where you access and manage your human resources information. You access payroll and personal details, you can book training courses and/or seminars that can be conducted remotely.
  • (accessible through DeakinSync) is an online video library of engaging, top quality courses taught by recognised industry experts. A very useful tool if you are unable to attend training courses or seminars usually offered on campus.

Visitor to Deakin

Depending on your relationship with Deakin, you may be referred to as a ‘visitor’. It’s usually for people who are not staff paid by Deakin: visiting academics, Honorary, Adjunct, or Conjoint appointments, or contractors. 

As a visitor you're not a Deakin University employee, but you may be able to obtain a Deakin Card. This entitles you to access the University’s systems and facilities, including email and library access.

As an unpaid visitor there may be instances where you may be entitled to reimbursement for reasonable expenses such as travel or accommodation as agreed upon by your host, and in accordance with the business expenses reimbursement procedure

Locations and maps. These webpages provide detail on how to get to the campus, disability access, parking, and accommodation.

Library. Deakin Library offers many varied services to staff and students.

Honorary staff. As an Honorary staff member, you may undertake activities in a paid capacity for the University or its wholly owned entities only with the prior approval of the Vice-Chancellor for work unrelated to the appointment.

Conflict of Interest and intellectual property. In accepting your engagement and completing the Casual Engagement Form, you've acknowledged any actual, potential or perceived conflict of interest. You've also acknowledged the provisions of all Deakin’s policies and procedures and adherence to privacy and intellectual property. Please refer to the Conflict of Interest Procedure and the Intellectual Property Procedure

Induction. Your host will advise you if you're required to complete induction and any of the relevant compliance modules.