Relocation support

Are you relocating from interstate or overseas to join Deakin? We’ve put together some useful information to help smooth your relocation.

Financial relocation support

Are you relocating either interstate or from overseas to join Deakin? If so, you may be eligible for financial relocation support. Relocation support is offered to assist staff members and their families relocating to Deakin for expenses such as:

  • packing and removal of household goods
  • loading
  • freight charge
  • insurance of goods in transit
  • storage of household items for a period not exceeding two months
  • temporary accommodation
  • other settling assistance services
  • travel and removal broker charges.

Financial support offered by the University may not cover all of your costs, but is designed to cater for the major costs such as relocation of household goods. You’ll be advised of your eligibility during your recruitment process. If you’re unsure, please get in touch with your HR contact.

Relocating from outside Australia

Accepting a position at Deakin

If you've accepted a job at Deakin University and need a visa to work in Australia, contact an HR adviser for further information. They can give you advice about which visa you should apply for and will make sure Deakin has the appropriate information and documentation to sponsor your application.

Deakin will also extend sponsorship to a spouse or interdependent partner, dependent children of the main visa applicant or dependent children of the main visa applicant's spouse or interdependent partner. Any dependent over the age of 18 must demonstrate that they are financially dependent on the primary visa applicant in order to be classed as a dependent for the purposes of the visa.

Once Deakin has lodged the sponsorship nomination and received approval from immigration, you’ll be able to start your visa application. Make sure you have all the relevant documentation for your application ready to go when the sponsorship’s approved. For example, this includes medical and police checks. Please make sure you are aware of what documentation you’re required to submit with your application.


To work in Australia you must have the right visa. The right visa for you will depend on a number of factors such as, but not limited to, the reason you're moving to Australia (e.g. to study or to work), what your nationality is and how long you intend to stay in Australia.

You can get advice about visas in Australia and work permits from the Australian Department of Home Affairs website. This can help guide you through the different types of visas available, as well as explaining eligibility and requirements.

Find out more at the Australian Department of Home Affairs

Finance in Australia


If you decide to apply for an Australian bank account, it's worth comparing your options online. Australian banks make it fast and simple to apply for an account. You can research the features offered by competing accounts before you make your decision on which financial institution to bank with. You’ll need to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and provide any information and documentation that the bank requests.

Income tax

Income tax is the most important revenue stream within the Australian taxation system. Income received by individuals is taxed at progressive rates and is collected by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

You may wish to apply for a tax file number (TFN) for working in Australia. Your TFN is your personal reference number in the tax and superannuation systems, which you keep even if you change your name, change jobs or move interstate. You don't have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax.

In July at the end of the financial year, Deakin will provide you with a Payment Summary Advice, which is a summary of your gross earnings and the taxation collected from you during the year. This document is required when preparing your taxation return for the ATO.

Find out more on the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website

Health care in Australia

Victoria is proud of its robust healthcare system, with top medical services available. Under the Medicare system, eligible Australian residents receive free treatment as public hospital patients, as well as reduced costs for out-of-hospital care. If you are in Australia on a temporary visa, you are not eligible for Medicare, unless you are from a country that has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Even if you are covered by Medicare, you may still wish to consider private health cover. This covers extra treatments like ancillary services such as dental work, optical, chiropractic and ambulance transport.

Find out more about Victorian health care

Travel insurance

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is a necessity when relocating, regardless of whether you're moving countries or interstate. Policies vary greatly in what they cover and to what degree. We advise you determine what type of coverage you'll require before buying your insurance in order to ensure you capture everything that's important to you. There are many insurance companies that will be able to meet your needs.

Living in Victoria

Here are some key things you’ll need to consider when relocating from interstate or overseas to Victoria.


When moving to Victoria, you may want to rent, buy, or find short-term accommodation.

If you need short-term accommodation until you can find something more permanent, your options can range from serviced apartments to hotel and motels. You might like to consider Deakin’s short-stay accommodation, which is situated on or close to our campuses.

Renting a property gives you the flexibility of familiarising yourself with towns and suburbs before deciding where you'd like to live. Rental properties and costs vary widely across Victoria's towns and suburbs. How much you can afford will be a key factor in choosing where you live and what style of home you live in.

If you’d like to buy, try looking at other property prices that are for sale in your preferred area for comparison. You’ll also need to consider the costs associated with purchasing, legal advice and conveyancing, applying for a home loan and whether you're eligible for any grants through the government.

Useful websites to learn more about renting and buying properties are and Domain.

Child care and early learning

If you’re relocating with a young family and require child care we suggest you look into what type of child care you’re seeking and the costs associated. Childcare options can range from community childcare centres to in-home care. If you’re looking for child care close to work, Deakin has on-campus, independently run childcare centres at Burwood, Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool.

The Australian Government MyChild website has search options for different types of child care, and advice on how to find and contact childcare providers throughout Australia. The Victorian Government's Parent and caregivers and Live in Melbourne's Education and child care websites have useful information about early childhood services and the Victorian education system.


Finding the right school for your child can be challenging when moving to a new state or country. It can also depend on whether you're looking for a primary or secondary school, and is also based on the needs of your child and your family circumstances. You might want to consider:

  • how far you want to travel and whether the school is close to home and work
  • what facilities the school offers
  • will the school support all aspects of your child's development, including social, emotional, physical and cognitive needs?

Find out more about Victorian schools

Contact the People Services team

For more information on careers at Deakin, please contact us.
+61 3 5247 9999

Email People Services

Follow Deakin careers on LinkedIn