Qualifications and professional affiliations

If you're a new Deakin employee, you'll need to provide evidence of your qualifications before you commence.

Providing copies of your qualifications

The Human Resources Division (HRD) is responsible for ensuring that all staff qualifications data is accurate, and that qualifications are attained from accredited higher education institutions.

On commencing employment, we request that staff provide certified copies of their qualifications to HRD. The information is entered into the Human Resources Management System with certified copies of qualifications being retained in personnel files. The information is then reported to a number of external and internal sources.

Qualifications data is reported to:

  • DEEWR - Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
  • AUQA - The Australian University Quality Agency
  • The Commonwealth University Yearbook
  • Deakin University Handbook
  • Other academic publications

If you require further clarification, please contact your HR Adviser.

Updating your qualifications

Any changes or additions to qualification information should be provided to HRD. Staff are to present an original testamur or academic transcript of their results, along with a photocopy of the documents to the Human Resources Division or the designated qualifications nominee in their Faculty/Division/Institute/Other Area. Find the qualifications nominee for your area using the document below:

List of Authorised Qualification Nominees (DOC, 118.0 KB)

The Qualification Nominee or HR Adviser will check that the copy is correct by sighting the original documentation. The photocopy will be stamped and signed to certify that the original document has been sighted.

Attach the photocopy to the completed employee details form or Qualifications and Professional Affiliations form (PDF, 42.2 KB) and submit it to your designated HR Adviser within Human Resources.


It is important to confirm whether staff qualifications are conferred by accredited or non-accredited institutions. Accreditation status will be recorded in the Human Resources Management System (HRMS).

If a qualification doesn't meet the University's prerequisites, the staff member will be notified and the University may decide to withhold the publishing of the qualification.

If you're unsure of the accreditation status, the following websites may assist you:

The Australian Qualifications Framework * click on AQF Register (Accreditation)The Australian Qualifications Framework is a transparent system of national qualifications endorsed by Australian education ministers represented on The Ministerial Council on Education, Employment and Youth Affairs. The AQF contains two registers:

1. The Register of Authorities empowered by Government to conduct Post-Compulsory Education and Training.

2. The Register of Bodies with authority to issue qualifications. Both registers list accredited Higher Education Institutions within Australia.
USA Council for Higher Education InstitutionsThe USA Council for Higher Education Accreditation has a comprehensive list of institutions and accreditation organisations. Simply search the institutional database to find the appropriate academic organisation. All institutions in the database have full accreditation.
Commonwealth University YearbookThe Commonwealth University Yearbook lists accredited higher education institutions and the appropriate abbreviation.
The World List of UniversitiesThe World list of Universities is produced by the International Association of Universities, and is available in hard copy. Copies are in the reference section of the Deakin Library.
The International Association of Universities (IAU)The IAU is a UNESCO-affiliated organisation that encourages links between higher education institutions throughout the world. It provides a database of degree-conferring accredited universities throughout the world, based on the World List of Universities.
The International Network for Quality Assurance AgenciesThe International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies provides the names and contact details of quality assurance agencies throughout the world. This resource is useful if you wish to ascertain the accreditation status of an organisation that doesn't appear on the standard listing provided by this website.


A staff member may provide qualifications that require translation. It's the staff member's responsibility to provide Deakin with an independent translation that includes:

  • The qualification's title (it's closest Australian equivalent)
  • The date the qualification was conferred.
  • The name of the academic institution that awarded the qualification.
  • The country in which the qualification was awarded

It's important that the translator is independent of the staff member and is accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

Contact details for accredited translators

In Australia, accreditation of translators and interpreters is provided by NAATI. For further information regarding using the practitioner's directory, please contact the NAATI website.

The following agencies are providers of accredited translations. This isn't a 'preferred' list, but has been included to provide assistance if required:

NameAddressWeb addressPhone
Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)Ground Floor, Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/131 450
On Call Interpreters and Translators AgencyLevel 3, 3 Bowen Crescent Melbourne, VIC 3004http://www.oncallinterpreters.com03 9867 3788
Language Australis Pty. Ltd1904 Malvern Rd, Malvern East, VIC 3145http://www.languageaustralis.com.au03 9571 3373
Victorian Interpretation and Translation Service (VITS), Melbourne1st Floor, 371 Spencer Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000https://languageloop.com.au/03 9280 1955

Rates vary between providers and are normally calculated per 100 or 200 words with a minimum cost per document.

The Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators Inc. (AUSIT) has a directory of members. The directory lists individuals who will provide translations for specific languages. A copy can be purchased from the Treasurer of AUSIT by calling 03 9877 9676 or by getting in touch via email. Care needs to be taken when reading the directory to ensure only accredited translators are used.


It's important to record the correct abbreviation of your qualification and the institution at which it was obtained, as this data will be reported to a number of publications. The abbreviations are based on the Commonwealth Universities Yearbook editorial Guidelines.

Guidelines for abbreviations:

  1. Identify the type of degree e.g. Bachelor of Arts Degree - Abbreviation: BA
  2. Identify the awarding university e.g. Deakin University - Abbreviation: [Deakin]
  3. Combine the two to complete the abbreviation Abbreviation BA[Deakin]

Always ensure the university is identified by using the square [ ] brackets. This makes input easier when updating your records in HRMS.

You may wish to define a specialisation e.g. Bachelor of Arts in Music; Abbreviation BA(Mus)[Deakin]

To assist in abbreviating your degree, a list of standard abbreviations are available: