Research degree fee information

Did you know that if you’re an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or permanent visa holder you won’t need to pay tuition fees for your research degree? The fees for Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) vary based on your program of study and whether you are a domestic or international student.

Estimate your tuition fees

Are you an international student?

Tuition fees for international students vary by course, so you will need to check the course page to find out specific fee information. International students may apply for a full fee international research scholarship to cover the cost of their fees. As an international applicant you'll need to apply for the appropriate visa, meet the English language requirements and be able to cover fees relevant to your proposed discipline of study.

Learn more about international student fees

Supporting your big ideas

Supporting your big ideas

Get practical professional and financial support, from induction workshops and presentation training to support with grant applications and networking. We’ll also guide you on your development as a researcher, ensuring compliance and research integrity.

Key dates

Stay organised by familiarising yourself with our key dates, including research degree application dates and relevant closing dates for scholarships.

Find a scholarship

We have hundreds of government and University funded scholarships available for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students, meaning you have more time to focus on impactful research. Our research degree and PhD scholarships will support you during your studies and can cover tuition fees, overseas student health cover or living allowances. Our domestic scholarship recipients receive an above university average $33,500 per annum stipend (tax exempt). For the best chance at securing a scholarship, you’ll need an H1 grade average or equivalent.

Find a scholarship

HDR scholarship opportunities

If you are a top ranking domestic or international HDR student, you might be eligible for the Australian Government's Research Training Program (RTP). RTP recipients can access a stipend, fees offset and allowance for relocation.

The Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarship (DUPR) is also available to domestic and international students. DUPR is funded by the University and also allows recipients to access a stipend, fees offset and allowance for relocation.

Find out more

Funding and grants for your research

Deakin researchers have access to national and international grants and schemes, including funding from industry, government and commercial collaborations. We also provide candidates with academic, professional and practical support, including $3000 to disseminate research findings at an international conference.

Contact our Grants Team for information

Government funding

The Australian Government administers the National Competitive Grants Program (NCGP), which supports research discovery and linkage. The National Health and Medical Research Council funding is the Australian Government's primary health and medical research funding agency.

Contact us

Join over 6500 research degree candidates from around the world who have enrolled at Deakin. Contact us with any questions about research at Deakin.

Deakin Research
Email Deakin Research

Domestic HDR candidates
Email the HDR candidature office