Tips for moving

Here’s a list of documents (and other things to consider), plus a handy moving checklist.

Put all important paperwork in a travel file

Include birth and marriage certificates, mortgage and bank statements, your driver's licence and any insurance policy documents you have.

It's useful to have certified copies of your identification documents

Electronic copies are also useful, as you may need to email these if you need to secure a rental agreement.

Gather up any doctor or dentist files as well as a copy of any optical prescriptions

If you have children, make sure you get a copy of their immunisation records.

If you need medication, make sure you have enough

Bring enough to last until you find a new doctor in Australia or Victoria.

Bring copies of your children's school reports and your resume

Include work references and qualifications. Scan and save these documents to a USB memory stick to reduce the amount of paperwork you're travelling with.

Finalise and close any utility accounts

Finalise and close utility accounts such as power, gas, internet and phone. Make sure you've supplied a forwarding address for the final statements.

Consider closing your bank accounts

You may like to leave a fee-free or low-fee account open for any last-minute banking. Ensure your signing authority is up to date and you're able to provide email instructions if possible.

Cancel your insurances where relevant

Cancel your insurances, including house, contents and car. Also review your life insurance – check if it's valid overseas.

Bring your superannuation or pension documents

Ensure you have the up-to-date superannuation statements showing balances. Check to see if these can be transferred to Australia.

Redirect your mail

Be sure to advise remaining contacts of your new address.

Set up an independent email address

Use an independent email address such as Gmail to transfer your existing address book over before you leave. You might like to save this to a USB memory stick as well.

Contact your accountant

Obtain taxation advice from your accountant and advise your them of your intending relocation and new address.

Advise your solicitor

Advise your solicitor of your intended move and provide them with your new contact details. This might also be a good time to ensure your will is up to date.

Obtain a reference letter

Obtain a reference letter if you’re intending to rent in Australia. If you've rented previously, get a letter from the property manager or owner of the property. If you own a rental property, obtain a reference letter from your property manager. Alternatively, obtain a personal reference letter.

Budget for at least six–eight weeks rent

If you’re intending to rent, budget for at least six–eight weeks rent, as most rental properties require four weeks deposit as well as monthly payments in advance.

Download a handy moving checklist