AIH238 - Australia in the Age of Total War 1914-1945
2024 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Online|
Students will on average spend 150-hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
This will include educator guided online learning activities within the unit site.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 1-hour lecture per week, 1 x 1-hour seminar per week
|Scheduled learning activities - online||
1 x 1-hour lecture per week (recordings provided), 1 x 1-hour online seminar per week
This unit examines critically several themes about the role that Australia played in the two world wars and the impact of those wars on Australian society. The themes to be studied include:
- the debate over fighting 'other peoples' wars';
- the methods by which different wars were fought;
- the soldiers' experience of war and return;
- conscription, conscientious objection and popular opposition;
- dissent in wartime;
- gender and war;
- aftermath of wars, including repatriation, broken bodies, broken minds, grief and loss;
- citizenship issues and war, including internment of aliens;
- the impact of war on the Australian state, national policies and the economy;
- the representing of Australia's wars, including film;
- comparisons with the war experiences of other nations and the ANZAC legend;
- memory of war.
Unit Fee Information
Fees and charges vary depending on the type of fee place you hold, your course, your commencement year, the units you choose to study and their study discipline, and your study load.
Tuition fees increase at the beginning of each calendar year and all fees quoted are in Australian dollars ($AUD). Tuition fees do not include textbooks, computer equipment or software, other equipment or costs such as mandatory checks, travel and stationery.
Use the Fee estimator to see course and unit fees applicable to your course and type of place.
For further information regarding tuition fees, other fees and charges, invoice due dates, withdrawal dates, payment methods visit our Current Students website.