ASC308 - Social Theory Rewired: Power, Passion and Post Humanism
2023 unit information
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Online, CBD*
Students will on average spend 150-hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 1-hour class per week, 1 x 1-hour seminar per week
|Scheduled learning activities - cloud (online)||
1 x 1-hour class per week (recordings provided), 1 x 1-hour online seminar per week
*CBD refers to the National Indigenous Knowledges, Education, Research and Innovation (NIKERI) Institute; Community Based Delivery
The unit explores the nature of ‘the social’, ‘society’ and the individual in sociological thought. It introduces students to various approaches to society such as those advocated by neo-liberalism, feminism, critical race theories and queer theories. Drawing on posthumanist and intersectional framework we also examine contemporary social, political and economic issues.
- develop critical thinking through analytical and conceptual thought;
- practice interpretation of theoretical texts;
- demonstrate reasoned points of view;
- design and produce critical and evaluative written work;
- locate social theory within contemporary issues and critically evaluate the multiple understandings of the social.
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: