ECE220 - Science 1: Science and Environmental Awareness for Young Children
2021 unit information
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online), CBD*
Students will on average spend 150-hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 1-hour class per week
1 x 2-hour seminar per week
|Scheduled learning activities - cloud (online)||
2 x cloud conferences per trimester
1 x 2-hour online workshops per week
2 x 1-hour online class per trimester (recordings provided)
*CBD refers to the National Indigenous Knowledges, Education, Research and Innovation (NIKERI) Institute; Community Based Delivery
The content is organised around key science concepts cognitively appropriate for babies, toddlers and pre-school children. A range of issues are addressed:
- Science understandings relevant to the early childhood settings;
- The nature of science and its relationship to society and the environment;
- The nature of learning in science and the environment; teaching approaches and strategies for linking science with the other curriculum areas;
- Assessing children's understandings;
- Contemporary issues in curriculum provision and the teaching of science and the environment through play
- The importance of language in the exchange of science ideas with children.
Aspects of science that are relevant to early childhood and primary educators are presented - for example, investigation of living things, materials, properties of water, air, electricity and magnetism, light, sound. Environmental concepts are integrated throughout the program. This unit will identify teaching approaches and strategies for supporting learning in early childhood settings. It will demonstrate, through practical activities applied through play, how young children develop their scientific and environmental understandings.
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: