ECL351 - Diversity, Language and Literacy
2021 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Cloud (online)|
Students enrolled in course E330 and E334 must complete prerequisite units ECE230 and ECE330
Students enrolled in course E359 must complete prerequisite unit ECL210 and 1 from ALM101, ALL230 or ALL153
Students will on average spend 150-hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
|Scheduled learning activities - cloud (online)||
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
This unit aims to develop an understanding of the impact of cultures, cultural identities and diversity on language and literacy teaching and learning. Participants explore diverse texts including digital and print Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, migration and other cultural narratives, poems, songs, films, websites, etc. Participants will become familiar with a range of curriculum documents and policy documents related to diversity, language and literacy and will use these to inform teaching practice. Pedagogical approaches that support language and literacy learning and development of intercultural understanding in diverse primary classrooms will be explored.
Specifically this unit includes:
- the building of knowledge of contemporary literacy learner identities and diverse contexts for learning
- the development of intercultural understanding through language, literature and literacy
- the development of knowledge about and curation of print and digital resources for language and literacy teaching
- analysis of National and State curriculum policy including general capabilities and cross curriculum priorities
- exploration of literacy pedagogies for students with diverse learning needs in print and multimodal environments.
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: